Are grapes dangerous for dogs? What risk?


There are many foods that should not be fed to a canine, and grapes are one of them. Let’s take stock of the toxicity of grapes for dogs and the risks that the animal runs if it consumes even a small amount.

Never give grapes to a dog

Whatever its shape, the grape is a dangerous food for puppies and adult dogs. And even if the animal charms its master to scavenge a few grains, there is no question of giving in, whether the grapes are raw, cooked, in juice, dry (the latter is even more toxic), or that ‘it has been macerated or pressed. It is also strongly advised not to give a culinary preparation which incorporates grapes such as a cream or a cake for example.

It should be noted that you absolutely cannot know if your dog can do a grape poisoning or not because it is totally unpredictable. Nothing, at the current state of knowledge, allows us to know if a dog is more particularly vulnerable to this fruit, because we still do not know what is at the origin of the problems. Moreover, it seems that dogs consume grapes from time to time without suffering from it, but they are rare. On the other hand, it is very common for canines to have a grape sensitivity and contract, after swallowing only a few grains, a fatal disease, namely renal failure.

The potential danger concerns all forms of grapes, but raisins could well be even more toxic since less than 30 grams is enough to seriously endanger the health of a dog weighing ten kilos. Therefore, it takes even less to expose a small dog weighing only 4 or 5 kg to death.

Symptoms in dogs with grape poisoning

The dog who has eaten grapes may have alarming symptoms in less than 24 hours, namely:

  • Abdominal pain more or less violent,
  • Diarrhea,
  • Vomitings,
  • An appetite disorder.

It is absolutely crucial that the owner takes his animal to the emergency vet. Left unchecked, the dog risks dying in as little as a week, during which time other symptoms appear such as:

  • Muscle weakness
  • A drop in body temperature,
  • A strong reduction in the amount of urine due to the kidney attack since, as we have previously stated, the consumption of grapes can be the cause of kidney failure in dogs,
  • Ataxia, which is poorly coordinated movements so that the dog adopts an unusual way of moving. He doesn’t walk straight. This is called the drunken gait which may well suggest that the animal has a neurological condition.

In the presence of one or more of these clinical signs, the dog owner should above all not attempt anything such as for example making his animal vomit, making him drink milk or even looking on the Internet for some miracle remedy that is more fanciful than effective. Playing the sorcerer’s apprentice in this case, as in many others besides, can be extremely detrimental for the dog because it often only doesaggravate still the situation.

The only attitude to adopt is to contact a veterinary emergency service without delay, taking care to specify:

  • The type of grape that the dog has eaten (fresh, dry, cooked, raw …),
  • The amount,
  • The type of suspicious manifestations,
  • How long has the animal exhibited symptoms (a few hours, two days, a week, etc.).

Any dog ​​owner must take daily precautions to protect the health of his little companion. In order to limit the risks of serious intoxication, the grapes must be placed in a safe place, in an airtight box or in a cupboard, because the dog is a greedy animal that does not hesitate to steal food as soon as possible. that his master has his back turned. Be careful also if you cultivate a few vines in the garden in order to produce table grapes.