The blue color has an amazing effect. It is capable of waking us up, making us melancholy, attracting our attention or refreshing us. Blue is often associated with the sky and the sea. It is one of the three primary colors. Combined with its complementary color, orange, the contrast is high and invigorating to say the least! Blue is characterized by many different shades: delicate sky blue, playful turquoise, vivid azure blue, and cool steel blue are just a few examples of the color palette you can have fun decorating with. With these blues, you can really create different moods. Walls, furniture or accessories, the blue color changes your interior.
What is the symbolism of blue?
In Christianity, blue as the color of the sky has always been associated with the divine, the supernatural. The color was once considered feminine and was attributed to the Virgin Mary. Unlike the terrestrial, the present red, the blue symbolized the unreal. It represented both the dream of freedom, of infinite space, but also of introversion and withdrawal. Blue is synonymous with softness and calm. It builds trust and conveys a sense of security. For this reason, banks and insurance companies like to use the color blue for their corporate logos.
The light blue tones seem to get lost in the heights. They free the mind and give a feeling of freshness. Like all shades of blue, a sky blue puts distance. It seems distant and difficult to understand. It’s light, airy, and seems to reinvent itself over and over again.
Dark blue tones are like the unfathomable sea – deep and wide. It is the color of philosophers and thinkers. Blue also has the meaning of strength, reliability and confidence.
What is the effect of the color blue?
The color blue is very often cited as the preferred color. Why are we so fascinated by this color? Because the color blue is pure, lively and cheerful at the same time. In color psychology, it is said to have a calming effect. In addition, blue is supposed to promote our concentration. A blue room is often seen as cool and refreshing. The inhabitants of southern countries take the opportunity to use it to make the heat more bearable. For example, living rooms in southern Greece are often furnished in the famous Mediterranean color combination: blue and white. In northern countries, we prefer to combine blue with warm colors and natural materials such as wood or rattan.
Blue for decoration
The advantage with the color blue is that it has a very large palette of shades. However, be careful because using too much blue can make a room very cold. To make an interior warm, it is better to combine the color blue with other colors. Blue will appear springy or downright warm like in the Caribbean.
With what colors to associate blue in decoration?
- Whether subtle or strong, the colors of the sea create a contemplative atmosphere. They have a beneficial and relaxing effect. They work very well in association with natural materials such as wood, linen, hemp or even sisal.
- Light sky blue, dove gray or pale green have a mysterious delicacy and can give your room a romantic aura.
- Refreshing light shades of blue. Associated with white, brown or gray, they blend harmoniously into a bedroom, bathroom or living room. The soft and subtle colors create a calm atmosphere in which you can quickly relax.
- The complementary color to blue is orange. The whole range of oranges, whether terracotta or coral, are also suitable as combination colors.
- Light and bright blue, in combination with other primary colors (yellow and red), has a fresh and positive effect. White and cream can tone down these intense colors, preventing them from becoming too dominant. If you combine pastel blue with pale brown, light wood and cream, it will look chic and elegant.
- Petrol blue is a trendy color. It combines well with the colors gray, yellow, white and green. Brass furniture or accessories look great in front of a petrol blue wall, because with their golden shine, they contrast with the cool color of the wall. If you combine accessories in shiny copper, the piece again takes on a very elegant style.
Examples of association of blue according to the parts
A relaxed blue in the living room
- With red or yellow tones, your living room looks more vibrant.
- With soft yellow tones, you bring a feeling of summer and blue sky. Choose your cushions and vases for mustard yellow or mimosa yellow. These yellows will harmonize impeccably with your shades of blue.
A cheerful blue in the kitchen
- With white or light wood kitchen furniture, your blue walls or cupboards will balance out perfectly. A kitchen in blue is a guarantee of freshness and lightness. The color is cheerful, but also gives serenity.
- Stainless steel accessories associated with the blue color give it a “cool” elegance.
A soothing blue in the bedroom
- Soft tones in light blue and accessories in pink give your bedroom a springtime feel.
- Yellow fabrics bring conviviality.
- Cream-colored textiles brighten up your room. Choose a carpet runner that makes your bedroom even more comfortable.
A refreshing blue in the bathroom
- A blue bathroom is a good mood guaranteed. Place coral or emerald green bath towels, different blue bath mats or a colored shower curtain.
- Dare to use golden accessories and immediately, your bathroom in blue tones will have a certain nobility!
- Also consider houseplants whose leaf colors pair well with the color blue.