If brick is so successful, it is because it is a material very present in the construction of French houses and used for many centuries. Solid, resistant, aesthetic, it does not lack advantages for an affordable price. Brick comes in several very distinct categories. Let’s take stock of the characteristics of each, their advantages and disadvantages, as well as their price.
Hollow brick is the most common and the most classic. It is suitable for all types of work, which makes it universal is very practical. The hollow brick is made of terracotta. Light and strong, it is very easy to work with and is very resistant to shocks and over time.
There are several types of hollow coves, including hollow cell brick. This model is often recommended because it constitutes an excellent thermal and acoustic insulator.
What are the advantages for hollow brick?
- It is suitable for all types of sites (interior and exterior walls, load-bearing and non-load-bearing walls, fences, etc.).
- It is inexpensive.
- It is light, easy to work and quick to install.
- It is resistant to time thanks to its great strength.
- It is more insulating than solid bricks.
What disadvantages for hollow brick?
- It is a model less resistant to compression.
- The installation of additional insulation will be necessary for the exterior walls.
What price for the hollow brick?
Count around 40 euros per square meter.
Red or solid brick
Red brick, also known as solid brick, is made of red clay and sand, hence its color. It is used much less than the hollow brick which has dethroned it for many years because of its more important insulating skills. Nevertheless, it remains used indoors and outdoors, especially for decorative purposes.
What are the advantages for red brick?
- It is very aesthetic and evokes the charm of the old or the traditional. It is a pattern that can be left apparent.
- It forms thicker walls and insulates well phonetically.
- It is relatively easy to work with.
- Its price remains attractive, even if it is higher than that of hollow brick.
What disadvantages for red brick?
- It is not a good thermal insulator.
- Heavier, it is less pleasant to lay than hollow brick.
What price for the red brick?
Count around 45 euros per square meter.
The monomur brick
The monomur brick is a model that is similar to the hollow brick in that it consists of multiple internal cells. Very insulating, it allows for solid and high walls and constructions. On the other hand, it requires know-how in terms of installation which is rarely mastered by masons.
What are the advantages for the monomur brick?
- It has good thermal performance and requires little or no additional insulation.
- Thermal inertia is interesting.
- Its installation is fast, provided you master it well.
- It is suitable for BBC constructions responding to RT 2012.
What disadvantages for the monomur brick?
- It cannot be asked without a pro. However, its installation technique is rarely well mastered.
- Its price is much higher.
What price for the monomur brick?
Count 50 to 60 euros per square meter.
The facing brick
If the hollow brick is aesthetic, the facing brick is dedicated to the realization of the exterior walls. Very elegant, it is available in two models: molded facing brick, with a more traditional and warm design, and pressed facing brick, more contemporary. Anyway, it is a model that is suitable above all for decorating the facade of the house.
What are the advantages for facing brick?
- Very aesthetic, it is a decorative brick.
- It comes in several models to meet all desires.
What disadvantages for facing brick?
- It is limited to decoration and does not allow solid construction.
- Its cost is high.
What price for facing brick?
If the first prices start at 30 euros per square meter, the facing brick can cost up to 70 euros per square meter.
The refractory brick
The refractory brick is a special model known for its very high resistance to heat. Very insulating, it is above all reserved for constructions subject to very high temperatures, such as outdoor barbecues and fireplaces.
What are the advantages for the refractory brick?
- Perfectly insulating, it retains heat.
- It is very resistant to heat, which favors its use for fireplaces or barbecues.
What disadvantages for the refractory brick?
- Its cost is significantly higher.
What price for the refractory brick?
Count at least 60 euros per square meter.