The puppy is not clean overnight because he must first build the musculature of his sphincters. As for the adult dog, it can become messy as a result of troubles behavioral or disease. To facilitate toilet training, it is essential to accompany the animal in a repetitive and with the right gestures.
Why is a dog messy?
A dog is considered to be messy when he defeats his needs.‘interior of the house while being given the opportunity to do them outside regularly. In puppies, we cannot really speak of uncleanliness because they must first build their muscles. sphincters. If the disorder persists or returns (in an adult), it will be necessary to wonder. Understand the cause is indeed essential in order to put an end to the situation. A few tracks which may explain the uncleanliness in dogs:
- A pathology. It is important to make sure that your pet does not have a disease like diabetes, a urinary tract infection or stones in the bladder. If his health is deteriorating and he is listless, consult the veterinary Do the same if your dog becomes incontinent with age because the professional will be able to provide an appropriate response;
- Troubles emotional. Hypersensitivity, a state of stress (in your absence for example), fear (noise), excitement, or even depression can cause an uncontrolled reaction in the dog. Here again, a visit to the veterinarian is essential. Namely that the animal can also urinate in the house to mark its territory.
- A bad learning. For the dog, being clean means quite simply not soiling the place where he sleeps. It will be a question of teaching him your concept of cleanliness which differs from his own. An animal adopted from a shelter can therefore suffer from uncleanliness if it has lived all its life in an outdoor enclosure.
In order to facilitate his education smoothly, five behaviors are to be avoided:
1. Not taking your dog out regularly
A golden rule for potty training your dog is to take him out as often as possible. Ideally, all two o’clock for a puppy who does not yet know how to hold back and four times for an adult. It will be necessary to operate strategic because certain times are more favorable than others to take her to do her business:
- After its nap;
- Fifteen minutes after his meal;
- After moments of games orexcitation;
- When you return from job.
Remember to congratulate him and avoid returning him immediately after he has relieved himself because your dog may associate his needs with the end of the walk.
2. Use a cleaning mat
It is not recommended to use a “cleaning mat” of the type litter, mop and other newspapers. If the method seems effective at first, it will actually extend the duration ofassimilation cleanliness because the puppy does not exercise the muscles of his sphincters and therefore does not learn to hold back. These rugs will sow the confusion by letting the animal believe that it can relieve itself inside the house. However, the only authorized place must always remain theoutside.
3. Sanction the dog
As in any learning process, actions should be avoided at the risk ofaggravate the situation. Among these: scolding your animal without having taken it on the fact. The dog has a memory of short duration and he will not understand why we are arguing for a wee he did an hour before. When you surprise urinating, firmly say “no” and take him outside to continue to defecate. Otherwise, don’t say anything. In the same vein, do not put the truffle in their urine or feces because this reaction may generate a stress which will be counterproductive.
4. Clean up the dog’s needs in front of him
Even if your puppy is trying hard, accidents can still happen. In this case, do not clean up his nonsense by presence because he can misunderstand your intentions: seeing you squatting taking care of his small business can make him want to play and start over. In case of a wee (or more), calmly put your dog in the garden or another room and bring him back when everything is clean. Tip: since the smell of bleach tends to encourage dog tagging, use it White vinegar mixed with water or with baking soda.
5. Losing your temper
As a general rule, your pooch should be clean no later than the age of 8 months. In the meantime, remember that the puppy does not master still his muscles and that he does not have an unlimited toilet. Result: he will not always be able to suppress his urge to urinate or poop. With a adult, you will have to proceed in the same way as with a puppy, showing you more patient again because his toilet training will be more long. In any case, in the face of small accidents likely to occur, you must always adopt the right attitude:
- As soon as the animal arrives at the house, take care time, ideally a few days off, to support him in his education. If this is not possible, free the maximum time that you leave your obligations because you will thus reduce the duration of learning;
- Pay attention to behaviour your dog to recognize the signals: a dog who wants to defecate will start toshake: look around, walk in circles, sniff around corners for the perfect spot;
- Always remember the congratulate when he defecates outside. Reward him with hugs, encouragement, or even sweets. Next time, he will be happy to meet your expectations by relieving himself at the good place.