To ensure the cleaning of your swimming pool, there are several models of robots. These cleaning machines can be electric or hydraulic. However, if their action consists of cleaning the swimming pool, these two devices do not work in the same way and do not produce the same result. You’ve probably seen the wide range of pool robots available online and in stores, so let’s take a look at the pros and cons of each so you can find the model that’s right for you.
The electric robot cleaner: characteristics, advantages and disadvantages
The robotic electric pool cleaner is a fully autonomous device, which cleans the pool efficiently, whatever its size, shape or coating. It remains to this day the most effective device for cleaning a swimming pool effortlessly. Depending on the size of the pool and the power of the appliance, one to two hours is sufficient for a complete cleaning.
The electric model is generally customizable and it can clean the walls of the basin, the bottom, as well as the water line for an impeccable result. Thanks to its soft brush, it removes impurities from all types of coatings without damaging them.
What are the advantages of the electric robot cleaner?
- Easy and autonomous use : just plug the robot into a power outlet after submerging it for it to start. It is completely independent of the basin filtration system and operates in complete autonomy.
- Its programming : it is possible to program the electric robot cleaner to make it perform all the desired tasks. Bottom, walls, water line, stairs … it cleans what you ask it.
- Efficiency and speed : in one to two hours depending on the size of your pool, the pool is clean.
- A multiservice program : the electric robot is equipped with several types of brushes to respect all the coatings. It thus loosens the impurities stuck on the walls of the swimming pool before sucking them up and filtering them.
What are the disadvantages of the electric robot cleaner?
- Its cost : The robot cleaner may be the most efficient, it is also the most expensive. Even if it is possible to find some models for less than 700 euros, the most efficient ones cost between 800 and 2000 euros. To the purchase price, it will be necessary to add the cost of the use which consumes electricity, at the rate of 1 to 3 hours of operation in full bathing season.
- Its fragility : overall, the device is solid, but its electronic components are sensitive, weakened by repeated contact with water and are expensive to repair. In addition, these robots cannot operate in cold water below 10 ° C.
The hydraulic robot cleaner: characteristics, advantages and disadvantages
The hydraulic robot cleaner is a model that works by suction and thanks to the hydraulic system of the skimmer or the broom plug of a swimming pool. These inexpensive robots are nevertheless effective, provided you opt for a model adapted to the performance of your filtration. However, the basic suction models do not remove impurities from the walls and just suck up suspended particles, unlike the pressure models. They expel water at high pressure to loosen dirt from the walls before capturing them.
What are the advantages of the hydraulic robot cleaner?
- His price : the hydraulic vacuum robot is inexpensive since models can be found from 60 euros, although it is recommended to buy a device for a minimum of 300 euros for it to be efficient and durable. In addition, the cost of use is zero since it uses filtration. There is therefore no need to spend more on other energy sources.
- Its lifespan : The lifespan of this device is longer than that of an electric robot cleaner, because it does not contain any electrical component.
- Easy installation : just plug it into the swimming pool filtration system to operate it.
- Efficient suction : the most popular hydraulic vacuum cleaner robot sucks up dirt from the water, which reduces manual cleaning work since you only need to remove the dirt yourself with a suitable brush beforehand. In contrast, the hydraulic pressure model takes them off, which is equivalent to the performance of an electric robot.
What are the disadvantages of the hydraulic robot cleaner?
- His half-job : the vacuum cleaner robot does only half of the work, since it just sucks up the dirt. This requires manual intervention, as the robot is not completely autonomous. Nevertheless, it is possible to invest in a pressure model for more complete action.
- One action to the detriment of another : this robot works by being connected to the filtration of the basin. Consequently, it can only be on when it is functioning and it can reduce it or interrupt it for the duration of its action.
- Certain consequences for filtration : since the filtration device is more stressed by the action of the robot cleaner, the pump filter must be cleaned more frequently to avoid clogging, loss of performance and clogging.
- Incomplete cleaning : angles are the big negative point of these robots. It is therefore recommended to reserve them for round or oval shaped pools and above ground pools if you do not want to intervene manually too frequently.