Forest walk: which mushrooms are dangerous for my dog?


During a walk in the forest, your dog ate a mushroom without you having had time to remove it. Back home, he’s in trouble gastrointestinal. Did he eat dangerous mushrooms? If so, which ones are likely to make him sick? What are the symptoms and the consequences on his health? And how to react if he is ill? Our responses.

What mushrooms are dangerous for dogs?

Generally speaking, all fungi toxic toman are also for dogs. Among the most dangerous are:

  • Amanite daffodil (Amanita gemmata) is wearing a yellow hat with white spots;
  • Amanite panther (Amanita pantherina) is wearing a brown hat with small white flakes;
  • Amanite phalloid (Amanita phalloid) is whitish with an olive-green, light-green or yellowish cap;
  • Amanite fly killers (Amanita muscaria) is easily recognizable by his red hat with white dots;
  • The Difficult situation marginalized (Galerina marginata) has a white stem, a brown to beige cap, and brownish blades with a rusty appearance;
  • Thehelve lacunar (Helevella lacunosis) has a dark gray to black saddle-shaped hat or a more or less crumpled or lobed conformation with a greyish to blackish foot;
  • The clitocybe White (Clitocyb deabalta) is entirely white from head to toe with a thin, often curved stem;
  • Theinocybe earthly (Inocybe geophylla) has a creamy white coating that is silky, shiny, fibrillous and greasy.

Amanita contains two toxins that can, in the most severe cases, be deadly : muscinol and ibotenic acid. The first signs of poisoning appear one to two hours after ingestion. Inocybs and clitocybs display a high concentration of muscarine, an equally poisonous toxin whose effects begin about two hours after consumption.

Mushrooms dangerous for dogs: beware of false friends

Mushrooms poisonous to humans are not the only ones that pose a danger to dogs. Some mushrooms edible can cause digestive problems in your pet if they are swallowed raw, undercooked or spoiled. This is particularly the case for oyster mushrooms, morels, porcini mushrooms, lactaria or puffballs. If you want to give your dog mushrooms, always make sure they are well done and always give a reasonable amount. From this non-exhaustive list of dangerous fungi, you can consider that all the varieties growing in your garden represent a threat to your dog hence the need to tear them off as soon as you see them.

Symptoms of mushroom poisoning in dogs

Symptoms of mushroom poisoning are variable in their intensity and in their time limit of appearance. Depending on the degree of toxicity of the species and the quantities ingested, the effects are manifested a quarter of an hour after ingestion until six hours after. There is a clear correlation between the time to onset, the intensity of the first signs and the severity of the poisoning. The symptoms take different forms:

  • Diarrhea;
  • Vomiting;
  • Hypersalivation;
  • Sudden lack of coordination, loss of balance;
  • Restlessness;
  • Convulsions;
  • Weakness, lethargy;
  • Fever;
  • Coma.

Dangerous fungus: consequences for dog health

The mushrooms edible for humans usually only cause disturbances digestive which will quickly disappear. On the other hand, the Amanita are formidable by their consequences. The first signs are manifested by classic gastrointestinal problems (diarrhea, vomiting) which hide internal complications such as hepatitis lightning, kidney failure, hemorrhages and nervous system dysfunctions causing coma and death in many cases.

What to do if your dog has eaten a dangerous mushroom

If your pet is already showing signs ofpoisoning, treatment should be started as soon as possible. While waiting for the intervention of the veterinarian, you can administer 10 to 20 g of charcoal available in pharmacies. If you caught your dog eating a wild mushroom, immediately remove it from its mouth. Do not try to make him vomit on your own initiative, this should be done by a professional. As soon as you get home, don’t give her anything to to drink nor to eatr. Contact your veterinarian immediately for advice. If possible, bring a sample of the fungus in order to guide the veterinarian in the antidotic treatment. Thanks to a injection administered within one hour of ingestion, the fungus will be vomited by the animal and any serious threat removed.

Dangerous fungus: recommendations

It is a great idea to go into the forest with your furball. However, keep an eye out for him, especially if he is young, still curious about everything and that he tends to chew whatever he finds. React as soon as you see it with something in the mouth with a “no!” ” closed. Even if edible mushrooms only cause digestive problems, adopt the principle of keeping your pet away from all varietys. And don’t forget to shop around garden to remove all the fungi that are there.

Print this sheet RSS feed

Design by NewsLax