When the month of February begins, nature begins to awaken slowly. A few more weeks and winter will bow out. The gardener eager to resume service can already begin to plan the different gardening jobs which are essential from February, whether in the vegetable garden, the orchard or the pleasure garden. This promises a few good hours of occupation. So let’s see what are the main tasks to be done in the garden in February.
February in the vegetable garden
Whether small or large, the vegetable garden always has work to do whatever the season.
- Prepare the very next planting of potatoes and the like. the working the land is done with a spade (or tiller). We do not forget to then apply compost. If you plan to plant asparagus, it is important to add a good amount of organic matter and to work the soil thoroughly.
- Put the potatoes to sprout.
- Continue harvesting if, of course, care has been taken to plant all kinds of good products, such as:
- Black radishes,
- Jerusalem artichokes.
- Sow, either in the ground or in a greenhouse depending on the region:
- Cabbages (cauliflower, Broccoli),
- The lettuce,
- The radishes,
- Garlic …
- Ventilate the chassis, tunnel and other shelter during the sunniest hours of the day and remember to close them at the end of the afternoon. No precipitation all the same because in February the biting cold is still very present and severe frosts are frequent.
We take advantage of the month of February to hunt for weeds in the vegetable garden in squares.
Take care of the orchard in February
In the orchard, at this time of the year you simply need:
- Treat the fruit trees with Bordeaux mixture.
- Apple and pear trees if this could not be done in January,
- Plant Stone Trees,
- Cut down shrubs with red fruits, such as quince, hazelnut and fig.
- Perform split grafts.
Those who have had the good idea to prepare cuttings of blackcurrant and other currant can plant them.
What to do in February in the ornamental garden
In February, the gardener has the pleasure of being able to admire the first flowers of the year such as Primrose, Snowdrop, Crocus, which bring a colorful note to the outdoor space. It doesn’t take much longer to want to give your pleasure garden time again to make it look great.
- Sow grass.
- Scarify old lawns only if the soil is not neither frozen nor snowy and redraw its border if necessary.
- Prune the Hydrangea which must be cleared of the branches damaged by frost and those which have died.
- Cut the Chrysanthemums.
- Plant only outside the frost period:
- Summer flowering trees and shrubs,
- The Azaleas,
- Sowing the seeds of summer flowering plants,
- Divide the perennials.
Care should be taken not to abuse the lawn during periods of frost or if it is covered in snow. If that is the case, we avoid as much as possible to trample on it because he may have great difficulty in recovering from it. The passage of the scarifier can be put off until later if the weather is not good. We take advantage of bad weather days to redraw the plan of the vegetable garden taking into account crop rotation. It is also a good time to plan the sowing and planting of flowering plants and to make the list of vegetables and flowers that you want. plant or sow within a few weeks.