The planning of the gardening work still has something to occupy the gardener in November because autumn is indeed here. Many plants are threatened by frost. They should therefore not be neglected. Pruning, planting, harvests, protection or even wintering of chilly plants, autumn cleaning… Let’s see how the gardener can fight against boredom throughout the month of November, between the vegetable patch, the orchard and the ornamental garden.
November in the vegetable garden
- Butter the artichokes.
- Install a mulch at the foot of all the vegetables protect from frost like artichokes although they have been butted, winter cabbages, leeks, and all the vegetables to be harvested.
- Harvest Brussels sprouts, broccoli, and root vegetables as well as the last tomatoes grown in a greenhouse,
- Cut back the aromatics at ground level then protect the feet with a thick mulch,
- Pull the roots out of the chicory,
- Open the frame and the greenhouse in sunny weather in order to ventilate them,
- Sow in place in southern regions and under shelter where winters are cold:
- Spring cabbages,
- Winter lettuce under shelter,
- White onion,
- Garlic and more generally all condiment plants provided they are hardy.
- Sow green manure,
- Do the large kitchen garden toilet :
- Tear off all that is faded,
- Make a significant contribution of compost,
- Cover with thick mulch.
The gardener must ensure the good health of the vegetables to be harvested in November because their the duration of the conversation depends on it. To store them, it is better that they are neither sick nor even damaged.
What to do in November in the orchard
The work in the orchard is coming to an end, but we still need to:
- Prune trees,
- Eliminate superfluous suckers, especially those that grow at the foot of fruit trees,
- Plant them red berry shrubs (currant, raspberry …) and other fruit trees,
- Mulch and / or lay a wintering veil to protect the fig tree and all newly planted young fruit shrubs from frost,
- Rake dead leaves and pick up fallen fruit.
It is not advisable to put dead leaves and rotten fruit in the compost because this greatly promotes the proliferation of parasites of all kinds. It’s better to burn them.
The ornamental garden in November
There too there is still some gardening work that is needed before the end of November.
- Regularly rake the fallen autumn leaves, mulch them with a mower if they are healthy in order to use them astutely,
- Gradually pick up the acorns that have fallen from the Oak,
- From the first days of November, to mow the lawn for the last time of the year,
- Remove withered flowers and dry leaves from plants in clumps,
- Plant trees and shrubs because, if the famous saying is to be believed, ” At Sainte Catherine, all wood takes root “. We therefore make sure to carry out these plantings around November 25th.
- Plant the last bulbous plants that bloom in spring like the Tulip, the Narcissus …,
- Divide the feet of perennials that require it and replant them immediately,
- Overwinter chilly ones such as Canna, Gladiolus and other Dahlia if the region is used to harsh winters. Ideally, they should be dried after grubbing before storing them in a dry, ventilated and frost-free room.
- Prune trees:
- autumn flowering,
- summer flowering.
- Wait until the end of November to groom the chrysanthemums in beds or in pots.
- Collect the seeds of the chrysanthemums: they can be sown in the spring.
- Remove dead leaves and all plant debris from the Bowl.
November is also the month in which we can tackle treat guardians with copper sulphate, clean empty pots and planters, greenhouse windows as well as tools that must also be disinfected, overhaul the mower and other gardening equipment with thermal or electric motor. It is also thought to sharpen the pruning tools and to pass a blow of flame on the blades.
In November, do not forget to pay special attention to its indoor plants so that they can spend the winter in the best possible conditions. Finally, we must regularly monitor the stock of apples that we keep for the winter and all the other products of the garden stored in the cellar in order to eliminate without delay those which spoil.