The choice of a tile is so important that it is often difficult to decide on one model over another. Everything is important: the material, the dimensions, the thickness, the color but also the quality because the interior tiles must be resistant, not very sensitive to scratches and non-slippery. And if it is in harmony with the decor, it’s even better. Here is how to refine your choice when buying an indoor tile so that it is perfectly suited to the room in which it is to be installed.
Interior tiles: the materials
There are three main categories of indoor tiles: cement, ceramic and natural stone.
- Cement tile: very common, it is a basic tile made from sand, marble powder and cement. It is the cheapest of all interior tiles.
- Stoneware tile:
- full body porcelain, the most resistant of stoneware tiles,
- enamelled porcelain, abrasion resistant but sensitive to shocks,
- glazed stoneware, moderately impact resistant.
- Terracotta tile: its only component is clay. It can be placed in a damp room such as the bathroom or the kitchen as soon as it has undergone a water repellent treatment.
- Natural stone tile:
- slate, very appreciated for its dark color which blends perfectly with a contemporary decoration,
- marble, very resistant and refined,
- limestone, easy to maintain, it is sought after for its silky feel and light colors,
- quartzite, a tile sought after for the variation of its appearance and its tones,
- granite, of great elegance, it is very resistant.
Lay tiles on the floor to personalize your interior
Today, tiling is the ideal floor covering so that one interior is unlike any other. Many finishes allow to multiply the decoration solutions because the tiles can be aged, raw, shiny, patinated or polished. It can also perfectly imitate noble materials such as wood.
Tiles that imitate wood
The imitation wood interior tile is an excellent alternative to parquet because it brings an authentic touch to the home and is easier to maintain than wood. It has variations in texture, veins and tones so that once installed, it gives a stunning result, larger than life.
A shape adapted to each surface
In order to bring more personality to its interior decoration, it is possible to choose shapes and sizes of tiles that are very different from the standards. Thus, to bring a contemporary touch to a large room, it is better to favor:
- Square tiles 80 x 80 cm or 60 x 60 cm
- Rectangular tiles 30 or 45 x 90 cm or 30 x 60 cm. This shape is very popular for creating graphic effects.
As for the rooms of small surface, they lend themselves more to the installation of tiling 30 x 30 cm or 20 x 20 cm.
The mosaics, made up of very small colored tiles, are placed sparingly because with this type of tile, it is better to avoid the total look that is a little too busy.
Depending on the desired visual effect, the floor tiles can be laid staggered, diagonally or more conventionally with straight laying. If the latter is the most economical, the other two generate a loss, forcing the purchase of between 10 and 15% more tiling depending on the case.
Indoor tiles: the standards
Several standards are used to classify tiles.
- The slippery with wet bare feet: the level of adhesion is indicated by the letters A, B and C (C concerns tiles with strong adhesion),
- Slippage with shod feet: from R9 to R13 (R9 means standard grip and R13 means excellent grip),
- The resistance abrasion resistant NF EN ISO 10645-7
- Scratch resistance: for this we use the MOHS scale (from 1 to 10)
- The degree of resistance: UPEC standard (Wear, Punching, Water, Chemicals),
- The product destination with standard EN ISO 10545-7 followed by class PEI, this being a equivalence to the UPEC standard. It indicates the resistance of the tiling according to its use and the places in which it is installed. The word PEI is followed by a number (from 0 to 5), indicating:
- the resistance of the tiles,
- its degree of abrasion,
- the places for which the tiling is intended.
For example, PEI 0 means that the tile cannot be laid on the floor, PEI 1 that it cannot be laid outdoors, and PEI 5 that the tile is extremely resistant to abrasion and is suitable for places with heavy traffic. like shops.
It is very important to choose the interior tile taking these different standards into account. For example, in a kitchen and a bathroom, we opt for a water-repellent, non-slip and perfectly waterproof PEI IV tile. In a bedroom, a PEI II tiling is quite suitable, while in an entrance it is necessary to opt for a PEI III or a PEI IV.
Interior tiles: a matter of style
Colors, material effects, finish, are all points to define according to the style you prefer. The interior tiling has in any case an impact on the atmosphere that we want to create at home. With this floor covering, we can obtain a classic, retro, contemporary, design style, bring a natural touch to a room, create a luminous universe or on the contrary darken the whole of a room … We therefore understand that for highlight a space, the tiles must be purchased after consideration.
To choose the right tiling and get a successful interior decoration, it is better to remember that:
- Dark colors are more suitable for a large room because they tend to visually make the space smaller. Black is timeless, at the same time modern and refined.
- Light shades visually expand the space, so they look great in a small room. In addition, they allow to bring a touch of elegance to the interior decoration.
- The bright colors bring a dynamic touch,
- Soft tones are preferable to create a Zen atmosphere. Sober, they are easier to harmonize with the rest of the decor.
With its many colors and material effects, today’s tiling is a real revolution in the field of home improvement.
By opting for high-quality tiles, we obtain a durable and very aesthetic result. But success also depends on respecting the tiling techniques. This is the reason why it is strongly recommended to entrust this type of work to a artisan experimented. Calling on a specialist also allows you to be fully advised on the choice of this floor covering infinitely declined. With the advice of a pro, we are sure to buy the tiles suitable for each type of room because in this area you really have to rely on standards. A few clicks are enough to obtain several tiling quote.