While it is still possible to fell a tree, destroying its stump is an intractable problem for many of us. The task is indeed difficult, at least for some trees with long and thick roots and whose stump displays a large diameter. We can imagine the weight it can represent once out of the ground, which requires the use of large machinery! In any case, there are effective solutions to overcome it and chemical free. Let’s take stock of these different stumping techniques.
Mechanically destroy a tree stump: athletic method
Here is a technique which has the merit of not polluting the environment. But it requires perseverance, endurance, time and the right equipment. This must be chosen wisely, taking into account the size of the stump to come out of the ground. You may therefore need some of the following tools and / or gear:
- A pickaxe,
- A chainsaw,
- A saw,
- An axe,
- A crowbar for a small diameter stump,
- A big stone,
- A manual hoist for a medium-sized stump which requires the use of chains,
- A trimmer,
- An excavator or mechanical shovel for a very large diameter stump, but that implies having enough space because the machine is imposing.
Not everyone has a trimmer or a backhoe or even a hoist. It is therefore necessary to rent this type of machine, a more economical solution than the purchase, unless you want to completely deforest a piece of land and therefore, tackle dozens of stumps … It takes between 150 and 350 € per day for rent a stump grinder.
If you want to use the hard way to destroy a tree stump, you must proceed as follows:
- Using a pickaxe, remove the earth around the stump until the tree roots are exposed enough to be able to intervene without being hampered.
- As soon as the roots are clear, cut them using the material best suited to their size.
- Finally extract the stump from the earth either by sliding the crowbar underneath and using the stone to pry, or by hooking the chain of the hoist to the root of the roots and then gently maneuvering the winch so that it does not come loose . The excavator is essential for larger stumps.
Be careful, if you have no experience in this area, it is absolutely recommended to entrust the stumping to a professional. This type of work is risky. Of course know how to handle machines and imperatively respect the security rules to limit any risk of accident or injury.
Destroy a tree stump without big gear or chemicals
Some stump removal techniques are much less spectacular than the previous one and are necessary for people who do not wish to take any risk by handling construction machinery. However, there is no need to buy chemicals from a garden center because there are gentle methods that respect the environment.
If you do not suffer from tendonitis, you can proceed with hammering of the strain with a chopped until its destruction. It is certainly not the most zen solution to use, but you can always try, if possible by taking turns with a few friends.
Otherwise, we can opt for the decomposition of the stump of a tree obtained in a natural way. For example, it suffices to:
- Drill 25 cm deep holes every 10 cm over the entire surface of the stump. To do this, a drill is essential.
- Place several cloves of garlic in each hole.
- Fill the holes with clay or clay soil.
This very old technique works well. The decomposition of the strain is accelerated thanks to the properties of garlic, provided it is not a baobab or other very large specimen …
Note that we can leave the holes empty and wait for the rainwater to infiltrate them. Over time, the stump will eventually rot. It will then be very easy to get it out of the ground.
Finally, those less in a hurry can simply cover the stump with a tarp perfectly opaque. Thus deprived of light, she will die after long months following her slow rotting, attacked by water, fungi, worms and other organisms. This technique works surely but slowly. A good semester is needed to destroy a stump of reasonable diameter and a few years for a huge stump.