The reimbursement guarantee of the medical expenses of the health insurance for your dog or cat can provide for the assumption of the expenses related to its death : cremation, burial, urn, burial, concession… Different formulas make it possible to partially or totally cover the expenses inherent in his sad disappearance. Update on the conditions, modalities, amount of contributions and compensation offered by insurers.
What is animal death insurance?
There are contracts specifically dedicated to animal death insurance or guarantees optional integrated into the mutual health insurance to which you have subscribed for your domestic companion. In addition to dogs and cats, insurers have extended their offers to New pets (NAC) such as rodents, mustelids, birds and other reptiles. Concretely, these insurance policies cover part or all of the expenses related to the death of the animal. Note that some insurers include the costs ofeuthanasia in their reimbursement when this is justified for medical reasons.
Animal death insurance: age limit
The death insurance option can only be taken out up to a maximum age of the animal which varies according to the insurers. In general, compensation is granted in the event of a death occurring prematurely (accidentally or by illness), before the age of 10 for a cat and between 7 and 10 for a dog, depending on its breed. The guarantee will also help you with the costs of acquiring a new companion.
Animal death insurance: the exclusions
As with any insurance contract, the guarantees provide for a number of exclusion clauses which are generally as follows:
- If the animal’s death occurs during the deficiency (period after taking out the contract during which you are not covered);
- If you have not had the vaccines compulsory;
- If there has been euthanasia without medical or legal reason;
- If the death follows a fight organized (as a reminder, this activity is prohibited by law);
- If your animal was subjected to bad treatment (malnutrition, lack of care, beatings, etc.).
Animal death insurance: amount of contributions and compensation
The amount of the death benefit that will be paid to you by the insurance company will be proportional to the formula you have selected. Below is a price order, as an indication:
- 160 € for a monthly contribution of 2 €;
- 310 € for a monthly contribution of 5 €;
- € 610 for a monthly contribution of € 8;
- € 750 for a monthly contribution of € 10;
- € 1,500 for a monthly contribution of € 15 to € 20.
What are the criteria for choosing animal death insurance?
Contracts to cover the death costs for their animal are offered by general insurance firms, banks and specialized agencies. You will be able to obtain the best offers on the market according to your criteria using a comparator free online. To facilitate your research, you will first need to define the steps you want to take after the death of your companion. Know, for all intents and purposes that:
- The individual cremation of an animal costs between 75 and 200 € (depending on its size). You can collect the ashes after cremation. To this price, you sometimes have to add the cost of transporting the animal to the cremation center (between 100 and 150 €), as well as the price of an urn (between 25 and 180 €);
- The collective cremation costs between 50 and 110 €. You will not be able to recover the ashes of your companion because several animals are cremated at the same time;
- Theburial in a cemetery animal service costs between € 130 and € 3,500 depending on the size of the animal, the location chosen and the options selected: transport, burial, maintenance of the grave, concession time, etc.
Animal death insurance: compensation procedures
To obtain payment of the insurance premium, you must have the observation of death by a veterinarian. The certificate and the form completed by the professional must be sent to the insurer who will proceed with the transfer capital in your bank account (count 30 days maximum). At the same time, if it is a cat, a dog or a ferret, you must notify the national identification file for domestic carnivores (I-cad) through its website (holder section ) or with the detachable part of the identification card that was issued to you duringrecording of your animal.