Multi-pet owners hesitate to take out health insurance for their hairballs for fear of too high contributions. Now in a market competitive and undergoing strong development, insurers have no shortage of initiatives to build customer loyalty and attract new ones. In addition to a price declining, dog and cat owners can benefit from various promotional offers. Overview.
Animal insurance: formulas adapted to all budgets
The offer of most pet insurance revolves around 3 large formulas health coverage:
- The formulas economic only cover costs caused by accidents (examinations, surgery, hospitalizations, etc.). The reimbursement rate is 50%;
- The formulas intermediaries cover veterinary costs related to accidents and illnesses. Some plans include reimbursement for vaccinations and sterilization. The reimbursement rate is 65 to 85%;
- The formulas optimal cover health costs incurred for all kinds of events: consultation, vaccine, medication, accident, illness, heavy treatment such as radiotherapy or chemotherapy. The reimbursement rate is 85 to 100%.
To note :
- Fixing a ceiling annual reimbursement varying from € 1,000 to € 2,800 depending on the service provider and the formula chosen;
- The application of a franchise between 0 and 30 € depending on the insurer.
Animals: pooling contracts to minimize costs
The bigger your hairy family, the more the monthly budget allocated to veterinary care will be. If you want to protect all your companions, you have the choice between:
- A global contract. Do you want to insure several animals of the same species (cats, dogs or NAC) at the same level? In this case, you can opt for a formula giving everyone the same coverage. Bundled pricing allows for substantial savings. You will have only one contact and it will also be easier for you to manage the installments and monthly payments with a single insurance;
- An individual contract. To subscribe to tailor-made health coverage (because different species, age, breed), a personalized needs assessment will aim to determine the guarantees required for each animal. Then, all insurance will be grouped together in a single contract defining the conditions of coverage and the amount of contributions. The insurer is able to grant a sliding scale tariff, the price negotiation margin and benefits of which will be less than in the context of a global contract.
Insuring several animals: contractual advantages
In the competitive insurance market, you will find many organizations promoting the subscription of several animals through various promotional operations:
- Application fee. Any subscription to a contract generates administrative fees of around ten euros. However, by subscribing to several contracts for your different pets, these costs are reduced or even offered;
- A sliding scale price. This degressivity is frequently presented on the basis of a percentage and proves to be more advantageous as the formula chosen is complete and therefore expensive. The applied reduction rates generally range from 10 to 20%;
- The reassessment of the contract. In terms of mutual health insurance, contributions are recalculated annually according to several criteria such as the increase in veterinarians’ fees, the price of drugs, the costs noted the previous year but also the aging of the animals since the seniors require more care. The fact of subscribing to several insurances with the same company makes it possible to better negotiate the reassessment of contracts and to benefit from preferential rates.
Multi-animal insurance: a range of promotions
Insurance companies regularly set up promotional operations that encourage the membership of a second animal (or more). These offers can take the form:
- A welcome check;
- A bank transfer;
- A first month free (or even several months free);
- A reduction or cancellation of the waiting period.
Insuring several animals: update on your criteria
To choose the right insurance for your four-legged companions, you will have to start by targeting their medical needs and your expectations:
- Do your animals belong to a breed predisposed to certain pathologies?
- Are they exposed to risks ? (hunting dog, for example)
- Is simple accident coverage enough for you? Or would you prefer to be covered for any type of event?
- What budget monthly do you want to allocate to the health of your animal?
Animal insurance: the contractual conditions to check
Before signing the health contract for your pets, be sure to check:
- The ceilings annual warranty;
- The amount of franchises ;
- The delay of deficiency (during which you will not be reimbursed) in the event of illness and accident;
- The exclusions such as costs for convenience operations (castration without medical indication, for example), cosmetic surgery; fitting of prosthesis; diseases resulting from a failure in annual vaccinations or in prevention methods (antiparasitics and dewormers), etc …
In view of the multiplicity of formulas offered by insurers, it is advisable to use competition. To make your job easier, do not hesitate to use a online comparator which will provide you with the best offers on the market according to your criteria. This free tool will save you time and money.