When it comes to flooring, there are different flooring materials available in the market. One of the relatively popular types of flooring is marble. There are few other materials that don’t look as elegant and beautiful as marble. Marble floors have been used in homes for centuries. There are several pros and cons compared to marble floors that you should be aware of before installing or renovating any of your floors. Here they are, with some information on the price of laying such a coating.
What are the advantages of a marble floor?
- Marble is available in a wide range of colors, so you can choose from a wide variety of designs.
- It has a very smooth surface and when it is polished it exhibits an extreme shine. The marble floor, when exposed to the sun, shines and increases the radiance of the room.
- For hot climates, marble floors are interesting because they are always rather cold underfoot.
- In the case of marble tile, the tiles of precise dimensions can be easily cut, the edges can be shaped, etc. Likewise, the joints between the marble tiles can be easily personalized.
- A marble floor gives a soft look compared to a granite floor.
- It is an environmentally friendly material as there is no chemical process involved in its manufacture. In addition, it is completely degradable. Marble floors are extremely durable, can withstand any external pressure. A marble floor creates a very important aesthetic for interiors. It is therefore ideally suited for high traffic areas such as restaurants, hotels, etc.
- It has high fire resistance, unlike wooden floors, although both are natural materials.
- It is very easy to clean marble floors.
- In the case of white marble, it is best to lay it with white cement on light-colored sand. It is also advisable to paint the underside with paints on white cement to preserve and maximize its whiteness.
What are the disadvantages of a marble floor?
- Marble is a natural composition, so each piece is unique and different from the next. Therefore, you have to be very skillful in the pose, otherwise the whole thing can quickly look awkward.
- The marble floors get very cold in winter. Therefore, it is not suitable for areas where it is very cold because you cannot walk barefoot.
- Marble floors are very expensive compared to other floor coverings.
- Cutting marble creates a huge amount of waste because every piece is different. This is especially the case when you need to adjust the design, size, veins, etc.
- Marble is a natural material that easily reacts with acid. Their interaction leads to spots. It is a porous material that stains easily when you spill coffee, tea, wine, sauces or fruit juice on its surface.
- Marble is naturally a soft stone, which makes it prone to scratches from sharp or hard objects.
- Installing marble floors is time consuming and requires skilled labor, especially if you need to adjust the veins of the marble to each other.
- Marble floors require proper care and maintenance. Marble floors should be polished regularly.
- Marble, especially one that contains a lot of iron, can turn yellow over time and lose its original beauty as a result.
- It is very difficult to choose a marble and realize its quality and resistance. Therefore, try to bring in someone knowledgeable when making your purchase.
- Natural defects such as veins and cracks that are contained in marble can break off after installation.
- Marble floors are very slippery when wet. It can be dangerous and lead to falls.
- At the time of installation, it is important to have a good stock because once the floor is installed, it is very difficult, especially after years, to find a stone of the same color and with a similar design.
What is the price of laying a marble floor?
Natural marble is sturdy, easy to maintain and durable. And at the same time, it is a very stylish material for the flooring of a hallway, bathroom or toilet. Once you install it, it will last a very long time. To guarantee a perfect result, you can choose to lay this floor yourself or call in a professional. Of course, marble is a product that may appear luxurious, but its installation has become more democratic. You will therefore be able to find a craftsman who will agree to install you there for prices ranging between 20 and 70 euros per square meter. This is an estimate excluding supplies. The marble workers and tilers that you will ask will establish their estimate according to the surface area of your room. They may include in their service the removal of the previous coating.
Marble floors give your home a classic and timeless look, but at a high cost. Therefore, you need to carefully consider the pros, cons and prices before purchasing.