My cat has been stung by a wasp or a bee: what to do?


The stings of wasp, bee and other hymenoptera do not spare the cat. Although it is fortunately not serious in many cases, this type of injection can sometimes have serious consequences and justify an urgent consultation. It can even be fatal. Let’s see what to do if the cat has been stung by a wasp or a bee.

Wasp and bee sting: emergency cases

The life of the cat can be endangered in case of hymenoptera sting, in different cases, namely:

  • The multiple stings wasps or bees,
  • Theallergy with venom,
  • A prick in the oral cavity.

All these situations justify a emergency consultation.

Multiple stings of hymenoptera

Wasp stings are particularly dangerous when they are numerous and represent a fatal risk for the little feline. Indeed, if a cat is interested a little too closely in a wasp nest, it suffices for it to be stung by about twenty of them to lose its life there. The danger is all the more important as a single wasp can sting it several times since it does not lose its sting, unlike the bee. Fortunately, cats rarely rub against this type of nest …

Regarding multiple bee stings, they are especially to be feared if the cat disturbs a swarm or settles on a hive. There again, it can succumb to it quickly even if each bee stings it only once since its sting and the venom bag become detached from the body of the dying insect.

Venom allergy

A single bite regardless of its location may be to be feared in a sensitized cat, that is to say who has already been the victim of multiple bites or a single bite. It is quite common for the cat to get stung by a wasp or a bee during a nature getaway. However, this can cause serious problems if, following sensitization that went unnoticed by his master, he became allergic to the venom because it releaseshistamine.

Depending on the cat, it takes a few minutes to several hours for allergic reactions to occur, such as:

  • Red skin patches associated with virulent itching (hives),
  • Inflammation,
  • Localized edema,
  • Angioedema detectable with alarming swelling in the cat’s head (eyelids, muzzle, lips) but also in the throat,
  • A anaphylactic shock.

Anaphylactic shock testifies to the deterioration of the cat’s condition. The situation is extremely serious. We can then see that the mucous membranes of the animal are very pale, that the kitty has tremors, that he is completely downcast and is breathing with difficulty. During this exacerbated allergic reaction, the cat’s death is imminent.

A hymenoptera bite in the oral cavity or on the muzzle

Another danger also exists when the sting takes place in its mouth or at the level of the throat, which is not an isolated case since the kitty is easily trapped when it tries tocatch a hymenoptera in flight or in the process of foraging … This is an attitude to be feared more particularly among kittens whose curiosity is limitless. Any sting on the muzzle, inside the mouth (palate, tongue, etc.) or even in the throat requires the cat to be taken care of by a veterinarian as quickly as possible.

Wasp or bee sting: relieve your cat

If the bite of the Hymenoptera is not an emergency, the owner can take care of his cat himself. He must first of all inspect the painful area in order to check if a dart is planted in the skin, which is the case if the kitty has been stung by a bee.

It’s important to do not compress the venom bag during handling as this would have the effect of injecting a new amount of venom into the cat’s body. This is why you should not use tweezers or a tick puller in this type of situation. To be removed, the stinger must be pushed out with a fingernail. It is better to ask a third person to properly support the animal during this time so that it cannot struggle.

Once the stinger has been removed or if there was no stinger, it is important to immediately place ice cubes in a plastic bag or in a clean cloth then to put this ice pack on the affected area. This has the effect of limiting the swelling due to inflammation and reducing the pain to a greater or lesser extent. The disinfection of the inoculation area is done using a sterile gauze and a product suitable for the animal and which should always be in the kitty first aid kit …

Then you have to observe your cat for a few hours and stay alert. This therefore requires being very attentive to any manifestation such as for example a consequent increase in the pain, diarrhea, vomiting, swelling that appears late, a slowing of the heart rate, difficult breathing … Even if we think that his little companion does not present an allergic ground, it is still preferable to consult the vet after an injection. But at the least suspicious sign it is without delay that you have to take your cat for a consultation.