Although we often hear it said that a cat “never lets itself die of hunger”, the fact of stopping eating can play tricks on it. In addition, it is absolutely necessary to identify the cause. Is it just temporary or is it anorexia? Is he seriously ill? The owner of a cat that is no longer eating can be rightly worried. He must in any case get closer to a veterinarian as quickly as possible. Let’s see what can make a cat stop eating and what to do?
My cat no longer eats: what are the risks?
Theanorexia or loss of appetite can quite affect cats. It is, like bulimia, a dysorexia, a term that means “appetite disorder”.
This problem must be resolved quickly because if it persists beyond 72 hours the animal is very weak, it risks severe dehydration, its organs are suffering and if it continues to eat nothing at all, its vital prognosis is engaged. It causes “a fatty liver” that is to say an overload of lipids in the liver. We are talking about hepatic lipidosis, a fatal disease manifested by:
- Jaundice (jaundice),
- An increase in thirst,
- An increase in the volume of urine,
- Nausea and / or vomiting,
- A lack of enthusiasm,
- A weakness,
- Weight loss.
These symptoms are common toother pathologies including liver failure. This is the reason why the masters frequently confuse them. A diagnosis is required as quickly as possible.
My cat no longer eats: what could be the cause?
Anorexia in cats is frequently accompanied by many other symptoms of which the veterinarian should be informed. This can help him make a diagnosis. Regardless, a cat can stop eating for a variety of reasons, such as:
- A food aversion, that is to say repulsion for a food appreciated until then but which the cat may have become disgusted by consuming it,
- High fever,
- Coryza which causes an alteration of the sense of smell,
- An oral problem (abscess, gingivitis, broken tooth …),
- Great general weakness,
- Joint disorder,
- The stress,
- A parasitic disease,
- Heart failure,
- A malignant tumor,
- Nausea, which can be caused by a drug based on morphine, by a toxic product or by a disease such as pancreatitis, inflammation of the digestive system, hepatitis, renal failure …
A sudden change in its diet is likely to disturb the animal, which then stops eating. But sometimes a cat also no longer eats quite simply because the food offered to him is spoiled. In this case, thelack of appetite is occasional since the appetite returns as soon as we change foods: it is not anorexia. First of all, it is therefore necessary to check that the croquettes and the mash intended for it are fresh and appetizing.
Finally, we can also see anorexia in a cat at the end of its life.
What to do when a cat refuses all food?
Do not put this eating disorder on the back of whim, especially if the anorexia is prolonged. It is on the contrary a alarm signal to be taken very seriously. The teacher must try everything in his power, for example:
- Encourage your cat to eat by giving him food that he is unable to resist in ordinary times,
- Avoid letting a rest of his mash dry in the bowl, thinking that he will finish his meal later,
- Wash your bowl after each meal, many cats being very sensitive to lack of hygiene,
- Assign a bowl to each of your cats rather than having them all eat at the same time and at the same time,
- Stop giving out sweets all the time because snacking cuts your appetite,
- Heat the food very slightly so that it is served just lukewarm,
- Give smaller but more frequent portions,
- Move the bowl, especially if it is placed in close proximity to the litter box or if it is in a part of the house where the passage of family members is constant. The little feline needs to be calm to take his meals.
If nothing helps, the veterinarian should be consulted urgently. No need to wait any longer if the cat has not eaten for 3 days. That would be exposing him to great risk.
The veterinarian must practice different exams to make a diagnosis and identify the cause of the problem, such as a blood test, a urinalysis, an x-ray or an ultrasound … He may need to do a feeding probe in order to refuel the cat and the rehydrate. Thereafter, treatment with appetite stimulants is possible. As for the resumption of food, it must be done gradually.