Your dog keeps his distance, hardly looks at you, does not look for your caresses, does not go out drum or trumpet when you come home from work at night! You deduce that your pooch doesn’t like you. This is a conclusion that rarely reflects reality. Many causes can explain his attitude that will have to be identified and resolved. Our advices.
How is his indifference manifested?
Your dog’s behavior gives you the impression that he doesn’t like you: he shows no signs ofaffection towards you, do not wag your tail at your touch, do not Party waking up in the morning ignores you when you come home from work. He keeps his distance, doesn’t claim your Warning, never snuggles up against you during TV shows, shuns your caresses, rarely looks you in the eye. In short, your hairball only interests you on one occasion: when you prepare its bowl. This is an attitude that saddens you and that you want to remedy. For this, you will have to decipher what your doggie is trying to tell you.
Find the origin of his distant behavior
Your dog’s lack of enthusiasm or indifference to you may indicate a disorder with different origins.
- A medical reason. Dogs rarely complain. Isolation, a lack of vitality, and general ill-being sometimes reflect a pathology or pains physical. With old age, your companion may also show behavioral changes that make him less sociable or more passive;
- A psychological cause. Your dog may be trying to send you a message that you are unable to understand. Examples: it lacks exit, interaction with its congeners, stimulation through play. He is bored or suffers from discomfort in his environment which directly impacts his well-being. Namely, depression also affects pets;
- A change in his daily life. Dogs do not like to be confused in their routine by events miscellaneous: a move, a separation, the death of a loved one, the birth of a child, the arrival of a new pet … Your doggie can then express his sadness by modifying his behavior;
- Past traumas. A dog remains marked for a long time by abuse, mistreatment or abandonment. Experiences painful are likely to have forged in him a distant, suspicious, not very playful temperament. Patience and gentleness are the golden rules when dealing with a traumatized animal;
- And you, do you like it right? It may be interesting to ask yourself if you are actually responding to the needs of your animal. Of course, you pet him, feed him, offer him a basket to sleep on. But that may not be enough to make him happy. Do you give him time to play? To take it out every day (even if it has a garden)? To put it in contact with fellow creatures? Unfulfilled expectations are likely to upset it.
Your dog is distant with you, does not like you: how to react?
Mens sana in corpore sano, the motto should not only apply to humans! A good balance for the dog too mental goes through activity physical. But before doing anything, you will have to check that your animal’s attitude is not due to a concern for health. To avoid any doubt, have it examined by your veterinarian. When this lead is ruled out, other actions will have to be taken to (re) weave a beautiful bond between you:
Protect your dog’s well-being at home
If your dog is showing some distance from you, first make sure he feels comfortable in his environment. In your interior design, be sure to reserve a space that belongs to it. Your animal must feel integrated into family life and be able to take refuge in a place peaceful when it sees fit. Ideally, place a basket in the living room and another bed in a quieter corner. Depending on his mood, his state of fatigue, his desires, he will stay with you orwill isolate in its cocoon.
Communicate with your pet
The dog is a being social who likes to live in a group and communicate, whether with his congeners or with his masters. A harmonious relationship goes through an exchange between the two partners through:
- Verbal language. Teaching him actions (sitting, lying down, not moving, giving a paw, stop…) is a way to create a bond between you. Don’t hesitate to use praise and rewards whenever he deserves it. Address him gently because if he does not understand the words, he deciphers them. intonations. Sanctions and shouting should be banned at the risk of damaging his confidence in you. Be constant in your words and actions;
- Sign language. In order to establish a close relationship, you will need to touch your pet. Before you stroke him, ask him if he accepts by showing your hand. If he walks up and smells her, he agrees. Patting his head can make him uncomfortable. Go first for flanks, a part of the body that invites you to play. The chest and stomach are also two places to be favored for caresses because they reassure the dog;
- Emotional language. The dogs spend their time watching us. They feel our annoyances, stress, sadness or nervousness. To give your pet full confidence, adopt an attitude positive in his presence. It’s not always easy but keep a cheerful tone when addressing him. And even if it rains when you go for a walk, stay energized and in a good mood.
Share activities with your dog
To maintain a quality relationship with your doggie, it is imperative to devote time. Whether with a puppy or an adult, sharing activities will help cement your bond. Thus, we will have to pay attention to it through:
- Of games outdoor (ball, Frisbee, treasure hunt) or indoor (hide-and-seek treat, tug of war, jumping over a shoebox for example!);
- A stroll in a park, at the beach, a hike, a picnic. While out, don’t spend your time on the phone. Talk to your dog and let him know that you love him by gestures, compliments, congratulations;
- Initiation to a new disciplined such as agility, running, cycling (with a trailer to transport it if the size of your animal is suitable);
- A interaction with congeners. If your dog is sociable, organize dog outings in groups. It is a great way to make walks pleasant for the animal and its owner.
Through better communication, hugs, mental and physical activities, you will reduce the distance that your dog has established between you. The improvement may not happen overnight, but your patience will be rewarded: by sharing moments of leisure and tenderness, your pooch will end up showing you signs ofaffection, for sure !