My dog ​​has been stung by a wasp or bee: what to do?


When a dog is attacked by a wasp or a bee, the first fear of its master is the allergic reaction. But this is not the only risk the dog runs, some bites depending on their location and / or their number can have serious consequences for the animal even if it is not allergic to the venom. It is therefore better to be vigilant to limit this type of risk which prevails during the summer season. However, it is important to know what to do when your dog has been bitten by an insect of the Order of Hymenoptera, especially since there are many opportunities for bites.

Wasp sting in dogs

The dog valiantly endures the pain caused by a wasp sting, especially when it is localized on the body or on the legs because it seems to be less sensitive to it than humans. This is also the reason why an isolated bite of a Hymenoptera may very well go unnoticed by the dog’s master.

On the other hand, from strong health risks for the dog are to be feared if he is stung by a wasp at eye level, around his muzzle, on the lips or even in the mouth. These are frequent hazards in summer because the dog likes to spend his time sniffing every nook and cranny of the garden, the nearby park or simply the surrounding fields, risking annoying a wasp nest.

The puppy who discovers his environment loves to have fun catching a wasp in mid-flight, but with its ultra-responsive stinger, it will not hesitate to sting it in the throat if it swallows it. A dangerous game which should motivate the masters to systematically collect the ripe fruits fallen to the ground because they attract wasps and bees.

A wasp sting in the mouth of the dog is a absolute emergency. The owner must take his animal without delay either to the veterinarian’s office or to the veterinary clinic near his home or his vacation spot. It is absolutely essential that the dog be taken care of immediately because the bite in a place as sensitive as the mouth or throat causes a significant swelling may obstruct the airways. The dog can then no longer breathe.

Dog allergic to wasp or bee venom

In the event of an allergy to the venom of hymenoptera such as wasps or bees but also hornets for example, again it is desirable that the dog’s master turns to the veterinarian without delay. Whether the insect bites only once on the body, on a leg, on the head or in the mouth, there is a risk of anaphylactic shock which can lead to the death of the dog.

During the bite, in case of allergic ground, the reactions are sometimes very serious. Be careful, however, an allergic dog does not always show telltale signs immediately after being bitten. Symptoms may appear gradually, even after several hours. It is therefore all the more important to consult with the slightest doubt.

Dog and multiple bites of hymenoptera

The danger is all the greater with certain hymenoptera such as the wasp and the hornet since a single individual can quite prick several times. Indeed, unlike the bee, these don’t lose their sting. The dose of venom is therefore greater in these cases. Thus, a dog weighing less than 6 kg who does not present any allergy problem can be killed by only about twenty stubborn wasps, because he has been the victim of simultaneous multiple punctures.

Concerning the bee stings, they should not be overlooked either. Certainly, a bee stings only once, (as we have seen, it leaves its sting there), but because it releases pheromones at the same time, the swarm can be alerted. The dog is therefore again exposed to the serious risk of multiple bee stings.

Dog stung by a wasp or a bee, worrying signs

Whether it is in case of allergy to wasp or bee stings or in case of multiple stings on non-allergic ground, the dog generally presents several symptoms that should alert his master. A histamine release occurs following the sting of a wasp or bee because the venom of Hymenoptera contains peptides, amines and enzymes in large numbers. The small victim may, for example, present some of the following manifestations:

  • Intense pain in the places of the bites,
  • An increase in body temperature or hyperthermia,
  • The loss of coloration of the mucous membranes which become very pale,
  • Swelling of the head, muzzle or any other part of the body, even in the oral cavity or in the throat,
  • Localized redness,
  • Hives,
  • Vomiting which can sometimes contain blood
  • Blood in the urine (hematuria)
  • Haemorrhagic diarrhea,
  • Extreme fatigue,
  • Breathing difficulties,
  • Heart trouble.

The venom can destroy red blood cells. Some dogs can also suffer from acute kidney failure.

Theemergency hospitalization of the dog is essential in extreme cases so that he can be revived by any means, including tracheostomy for example. But even if the dog doesn’t seem to have trouble breathing it is best to take him to the vet.

When a hymenoptera bite does not cause any serious consequences for the dog, and the owner considers that a consultation is not necessary, he can relieve his little companion by applying a ice pack on the stung area. But first, he must check whether the sting of a bee has remained stung in the skin of his animal. If this is the case, he should remove it, taking care not to compress the venom bag as it would only inoculate a new dose to his dog. This is why the tweezers are banned.

The only solution to remove the sting without risk is to push it out with a fingernail after careful disinfection of the hands. It then no longer remains to clean the skin of the animal with a gauze soaked in a disinfectant lotion for canines. We must be careful: if the dog feels a violent pain, his master is exposed to a risk of bite. In cases like this, even in a dog as gentle as a lamb, a muzzle is a protection that should not be overlooked.