As in many other areas, you can find good as well as less good in pet stores. In other words, some are very serious but may suffer from the bad reputation of some others. Before buying an animal there, it is therefore necessary to always inform yourself well beforehand to be sure that a pet store is trustworthy. More and more questioned, the marketing of cats, dogs and other rabbits in pet stores does not reassure consumers. Can we really trust this type of structure? This is what we will see.
Pet shops: what about the questionable practices pointed out?
Not all pet stores should be placed in the same basket. Some are serious, but there are many that do not deserve the trust of consumers. They are accused of:
- To sell animals sometimes aged less than 4 months,
- To market animals from intensive breeding or shameful channels,
- To make a rather juicy trade in animals,
- Not always to take care of the animals they keep while waiting to sell them,
- And not to respect the rules of hygiene,
- To bring some of their animals (if not all) from Eastern countries,
- To get supplies fromnon-professional breeders who therefore do not comply with the registration requirement and who crowd animals into very small cages,
- To offer animals in poor health but not to point it out to buyers: the problems observed are mainly due to extremely difficult and completely deplorable transport conditions, and to a manifest lack of care when it is necessary,
- Not always to indicate the real age of the animal, especially if it is already old, because consumers prefer to buy younger animals,
- To get rid of “unsold items” as if they were manufactured objects, animals left on the sidelines being euthanized.
Very many customers who bought an animal through this means had to pay a exorbitant price but in addition, the necessary budget thereafter for regulate veterinary acts was nothing like what they expected. Fortunately, it is possible to be reimbursed if the veterinarian establishes a certificate attesting that the animal was sick before the purchase.
It should also be noted that the animals sold by a number of unscrupulous pet stores have not benefited from good living conditions, far from it. Crowded, abandoned and even mistreated in some cases, they are often very fearful, even aggressive, and develop behavior problems that can endanger their master and members of their foster family, especially children. It therefore also requires substantial costs to entrust the care of these animals to a behaviorist whose role is to try to socialize them.
In some countries, measures have been taken to protect animals. In Britain, it is forbidden to sell cats and dogs less than 6 months old and in California, pet stores are prohibited from marketing farm animals but can only sell farm animals. from shelters. This aims to put an end to animal overproduction but also to cases of abuse, and to prevent very young animals from being weaned much too early. These measures are also aimed at encouraging consumers to adopt animals who languish in shelters.
Beware of certain animal stores: prefer shelters and approved breeders
Rather than relying on a pet store that you cannot ultimately trust, it is highly preferable to go directly to a refuge or even to a approved local breeder when you want to welcome a pet, cat, dog, rabbit or others.
This way we can check the breeding conditions. It is also safer to get real papers (like the pedigree), to know where the animal comes from, to know its life history, its antecedents, and finally to pay the right price. In this regard, it is very common for pet stores to make a huge margin on each animal sold. They can, for example, double the price of a purebred dog in order to serve well in the process … An unacceptable process obviously.
The approved breeders also give real advice to buyers so that the animals are raised in the best possible conditions. It is also the only solution for do not encourage intensive breeding pets and put an end to certain abuses. In any case, if pet stores have nothing to be ashamed of, this is not the case for all of these businesses. Also it is necessary to be vigilant when choosing an animal, carefully inspect the condition of the cages, bedding and that of the animals, do not hesitate to ask questions and even to find out about the reputation of the pet store from a veterinarian for example .