For recover a number of green waste, it is essential to use a plant shredder. This is the case for branches representing a substantial volume and that it is, in many communes, forbidden to burn. To avoid having to make incessant trips to the recycling center, this device is ideal, especially as it reduces the volume of plant waste by 80 to 90%. With this device, no more cluttered garden. It remains to choose the plant shredder suited to your needs. Let’s take stock of its great utility, the different models and the main selection criteria.
Usefulness of the mulcher
The plant shredder is the perfect gardener’s companion wishing to recycle its garden waste not easy to handle. This is the case with pruning and pruning residues, among others, which are extremely bulky and occupy a significant space on the ground. Thanks to the vegetable shredder, he easily finds the ideal solution to reduce the volume of its waste such as tree branches and everyone today knows the usefulness of crushing its plants. We can, thanks to a crusher:
- Limit handling,
- Transform your garden waste into Raméal Fragmented Wood or BRF,
- Recycle shredded waste in the garden or in the compost,
- Have a high-value mulch,
- Enrich the soil since the waste turns into green manure,
- Protect your plantations against drought and cold,
- Reduce the development of weeds,
- Limit the time intended for both watering and weeding,
- Reduce your water bill,
- Do not use commercial synthetic fertilizers since the crushed waste provides the soil with natural nutrients,
- Protect your crops against pests and diseases,
- Use fewer treating products, all categories combined.
The mulcher should be part of the gardener’s kit because a lot of garden waste cannot be reduced by crushed with a pruning shears, shears or mower, devices only suitable for small jobs.
Different models of mulchers
Every gardener can now afford the custom-cut plant shredder, capable of meeting his needs in terms of branch management of all kinds and other bulky waste from the garden. There are some for small lots where the number of plantations, trees and shrubs is moderate, and for large lots with lots of trees where the different annual sizes generate large volumes of waste. Here are the different models of shredders and their main features.
The mechanical crusher
It’s a model that works… with elbow grease! Admittedly, with a mechanical shredder the task is rather muscular, but at least by activating the crank by hand we garden green and quietly. This shredder can accept plants up to 30 mm in diameter and provided that the resistance of the wood is relatively low, as is the case for example of stubble, large plant stems or brushwood. Its price is between 100 and 300 €.
The thermal plant shredder
Hosted by a petrol engine, this is the type of most powerful crusher, perfectly designed for the maintenance of large grounds andintensive use. Landscapers are among the professionals who use it after cutting down trees, pruning shrubs or trimming hedges because it is able to reduce branches of 10 cm in diameter. It can be used even in bad weather. It is available as a 2-stroke engine and a 4-stroke engine. The power of a thermal grinder is between 3,300 and 6,800 W depending on the model.
It is a relatively heavy device which does not make it easy to handle by some gardeners. It requires regular maintenance since it is necessary to change the filters, clean or even replace the spark plugs, change the oil and lubricate various parts. It is also necessary to always provide a jerrycan of gasoline so as not to be forced to interrupt work in the event of a fuel exhaustion. As for its price, it is relatively high, ranging from 800 to 3000 €.
The electric mulcher
Ideal for individuals who have to maintain a garden whose area is less than 500 m², it is a fairly light shredder therefore handy rather suited to a occasional use. It can cut branches from a diameter from 25 to 40 mm. On the power side, it is available in different models from 1,800 to 3,000 W. It plugs into an electrical outlet (standard) so that it should not be used in rainy weather. As for the price of an electric vegetable shredder, it is between 200 and 1000 €.
The different cutting systems
In addition to choosing between a mechanical, thermal or electrical device, you must also take into account the cutting system when choosing your shredder. There are three types.
The knife holder
Also called blade disc, it is perfect for a small 300 m² garden at most. It can only crush branches of a maximum diameter of 35 mm and turns out to be quite noisy. We appreciate the very fine grind that can be obtained with a knife holder, which can be used as mulch. Note, however, that it is necessary to push the branches manually during use which promotes jams.
The rotor system
Not very noisy, it can crush branches of a 50 mm diameter to the maximum. It is suitable for a 500 m² garden at most and does not allow rapid work. The mash obtained with a rotor system is quite coarse, so it takes some time to be composted. But it can make a really good mulch. Note that with a rotor mill, in the event of blockage, the direction of rotation can be reversed, which is very practical. However, taking care of insufficiently hard plants increases the risk of jams.
The turbine system
The turbine mill is efficient and suitable for the maintenance of a land of more than 5 ares. He can crush branches up to 50 mm in diameter. The turbine compresses plants and easily crushes hard or even very hard wood. The risk of jamming is low with a turbine model.
Main criteria for choosing a plant shredder
To choose a plant shredder, we therefore first study its operating mode – mechanical, thermal or electrical – as well as its cutting system, namely blade holder, rotor or turbine. Some items are particularly important to be considered as for example:
- The presence of a circuit breaker, a safety device that stops the device in the event of a jam,
- The power of the mulcher, knowing that it is strongly recommended to choose a model of at least 2200 W,
- The collection box or the collection bag to save time,
- The automatic drive system for branches and other plants which avoids having to push them by hand,
- The removable hopper, that is to say the supply chute, which, once dismantled, reduces the size of the crusher, which facilitates its storage when there is not a lot of space,
- The castors which make the mulcher easier to move,
- The weight because if it is important, the device can be less handy for some people,
- The pusher which greatly facilitates the insertion of plants into the chute,
- The maintenance cost that must be taken into account if you opt for a thermal plant shredder because it is essential to have a regular oil change and the filters must be replaced as soon as necessary …
Finally, it is absolutely essential to take many precautions when using a mulcher. You must wear special glasses and gloves, but also equip yourself with a noise-canceling helmet to protect yourself from decibels, some models being noisy as we have seen previously. Children are of course kept away from the work area. And finally, do not forget to always switch off the grinder before starting its cleaning and maintenance or repair.