Animal sociable and expressive, the dog has a language to communicate with its congeners as with humans. From the age of three weeks, the puppy begins to adopt adult postures, by voice or gestures. Whether vocal or bodily, his behavior aims to express a need, an emotion, a desire. Decryption of his vocabulary.
Your puppy bites you
Three main reasons have been put forward to explain biting in puppies: teeth, testing, play.
- At one and a half months, the puppy has 28 baby teeth which will be gradually replaced by 42 permanent teeth. This transition – which lasts until the age of about 7 months – is likely to cause him uncomfortable that he tries to relieve by biting;
- The puppy explores the world with its jaw. Curious to discover his environment, he becomes familiar with the tastes, the materials and for that, he sketches everything that is within his reach: electrical outlets, chair legs, sofa armrests, window handles, clothes, shoes …;
- Playful from the first weeks of his life, the puppy begins by nibbling his brothers and sisters. When he leaves the litter, he will direct his affection to his human family. Arrived in his new home, he quickly understands that nibbling allows him to attractWarning of his masters, whether through a positive or negative reaction.
How to answer him? Don’t imagine that this bad habit will “pass him by as he grows up.” You must react in such a way that your puppy does not maintain this behavior in adulthood because his bites may then cause more pain. One method is to say “no! »Firmly then to interrupt immediately any interaction with him. The bite must mean the instant stop of play.
Your puppy is simulating sex
The overlap is an exercise that the puppy will first practice on his siblings. At a young age, this behavior is devoid of sexual connotation but more of a game, a way to interact with its environment. During the socialization period, the puppy will begin to express himself with the behavioral bases of the adult and in canine language, a way of manifesting his domination consists in mounting a congener. The action of riding (an adult dog, a soft toy, a cushion, your leg) is for him a way to familiarize himself with social codes, to try to impose himself. Whether he is rebuffed by the house cat, whether he amuses or annoys his masters, in any case, he elicits a reaction.
How to answer him? Ignoring him (or even leaving the room without saying anything to him) usually makes this type of behavior go away. If your puppy no longer attracts your attention, it will stop on its own.
Your puppy barks often
Barking is surely the dog’s favorite mode of expression. It takes on various tones depending on their meaning and owners usually quickly learn to distinguish them. This mode of communication can thus express a positive or negative feeling. Some examples :
- Very small faced with the immensity of this world, its noises, its effervescence, the puppy will be able to make his voice heard by fear or anxiety;
- During the first months of its life, the dog rarely barks as a threat or aggression towards its congeners. On the contrary, he rather tends to want to create social link ;
- Towards his masters, the bark can translate request: eat, drink, go out, defecate …
- As for the excitement and joy during a session Game, they are manifested by a rather sharp barking.
- The puppy may also bark to challenge you when you scold him. If he tries to show you his superiority, you will have to make him understand that you are the leader of the pack and not him. Even if the sight of a passer-by triggers this behavior, it will be necessary to act in such a way that a disorder does not develop.
How to answer him? By learning to differentiate the tones of his bark and to identify the causes, you can adapt your learning so that it does not become a habit when he is an adult. The method of positive reinforcement is always recommended. In any case, it is not a question of wanting to completely suppress the barking – which is its mode of communication – but of to regulate.
Your puppy sniffs the ground, fidgets
During the learning period cleanliness, you must be attentive to the signs that your puppy emits to anticipate small accidents. To know if your animal wants to defecate, you just have to observe it because, before relieving itself, it adopts a characteristic behavior: it fidgets, sniffs the ground and turns in circles to promote the passage of excrement in its intestine. (peristalsis). He can also express the desire to go out by scratching the door, for example.
How to answer him? As soon as you notice his characteristic behavior, drive him without delay to theoutside. As soon as he has relieved himself in the desired place, congratulate him with compliments, hugs, or even a treat to encourage him to do it again when the time comes. Note: a puppy needs to relieve itself about 30 minutes after a meal and then every two hours. Well educated, he can become clean from 4 months, the age at which he learns to control his sphincters.
Communicate well with your puppy
Through the vocalizations and postures of your puppy, you will decipher what he is trying to tell you. For your part, prefer a high tone and a voice sweet addressing him so he doesn’t take your words for a rebuke. No need to shout because dogs have a very developed hearing allowing them to hear a weak sound several tens of meters away. Your language bodily It is also very important: the caress to congratulate him, the hug to flatter him, the raised index finger to make him sit down, the outstretched palm so that he does not move are all gestures that he will quickly assimilate. An understanding mutual, developed as early as possible and maintained over the years, is the guarantee of a harmonious relationship between you and your furball.