Structural damage insurance without technical control

Structural damage insurance is primarily intended for the owner having construction or renovation work carried out. Here is what you need to know about this contract.

If you are planning to build or have a house built, it is important to learn about property damage insurance. Can this insurance be taken out without technical control? All the explanations.

A few reminders on property damage insurance

Structural damage insurance must be taken out by any person having work carried out. It can be the owner of the work, the seller of the work or the agent of the owner of the work. Without insurance, a fine of 75,000 euros and / or a 6-month prison sentence may be required.

This contract is essential for those who initiate the work if they wish to be promptly reimbursed for all repair work for damage covered by the ten-year guarantee, without waiting for the intervention of a court decision. In theory, the work damage insurance takes effect 1 year after the expiry of the guarantee period of perfect completion. However, it is possible to assert it before this expiration date in the following two cases:

  • When the contract concluded with the contractor has been terminated following the non-performance of his obligations before the acceptance of the works and after a formal notice which has not succeeded;
  • When the contractor has not repaired the defects observed after acceptance of the work and after a formal notice remained unsuccessful.
  • Decennial insurance certificates from all stakeholders as well as quotes for their work;
  • The decree of the building permit if necessary;
  • The declaration of opening of the site (DORC);
  • Work plans;
  • The technical inspector’s reports.

Regarding the duration of the work damage insurance, you should know that it is acquired for 10 years from the date of receipt of the work.

Finally, it is important to know which risks are covered by this insurance. Within the framework of construction works, this contract covers defects and poor workmanship which threaten the solidity of the construction and the disorders which affect its inseparable elements of equipment. For example, the following are covered: major cracks in the walls, subsidence of the floor, collapse of a roof, water infiltration through a crack in the facade, thermal insulation defects of the walls, etc. On the other hand, the The insurance does not cover claims that fall under the contractor’s professional insurance or those related to the non-completion of the work within the prescribed time.

Terms and conditions for subscribing to structural damage insurance

The client, that is to say the one who wishes to undertake work, must take out damage insurance before the start of the work with the insurer of his choice. To put all the chances on his side, he has every interest in putting together his file as soon as possible, at least 2 months before the planned start date of the work.

Here is the list of documents required for subscription:

After studying these elements, the insurance company is in a position to make a proposal which should be considered.

Is it possible to take out structural damage insurance without a technical inspection?

First of all, it should be remembered that the technical inspection of a building aims to prevent technical hazards that could lead to disasters. In accordance with the Construction and Housing Code, this operation is made compulsory for the work of establishments open to the public belonging to the 1time, 2th, 3th and 4th categories, buildings where the lower floor of the last level is located more than 28 meters from the ground, buildings other than for industrial use meeting certain standards in particular.

Some insurers agree to make a property damage insurance offer without technical control when the cost of the work is less than 700,000 euros (individual houses) or 300,000 euros (other buildings). It is advisable to check with the insurer concerned to find out if this operation is essential.

How to find a property damage insurance without technical control?

Do you want to take out structural damage insurance without having to call a technical inspector? For this, several solutions are available to you:

Use a 100% online comparator

The online comparator is a free, non-binding tool that saves time when looking for a property damage insurance offer. In fact, all you have to do is fill out a quick form to get an overview of the offers available on the market. During this search, it is possible to specify that the desired offer must not be associated with the provision of the technical inspector’s reports.

The comparator is particularly useful for saving money since it compares dozens of offers in just a few minutes and only displays those that correspond to your budget.

Go through a broker

Another solution to finding book damage insurance without a technical inspection can be to go through an experienced broker. This professional, after having analyzed your needs, is responsible for selecting the best offers for you. It is able to obtain advantageous rates thanks to its large network of partners. If you have any questions, the broker will also be able to answer them promptly.

Whatever solution is chosen, it is essential to make several requests for structural damage insurance quotes in order to benefit from the best quality / price ratio. To choose the right insurer, be sure to consider, in addition to the price, the guarantees offered, the quality of customer service and proximity. If you do not find a cover adapted to your needs, be aware that you can turn to the Central Pricing Bureau (BCT) which will require an insurer to make you an offer at the fixed rate. The BCT can be contacted after receiving the refusal of an insurer by registered letter or in the event of the latter’s lack of response. The organization must be contacted by registered mail within 45 days of the refusal.