The walk-in closet is what we do best to enjoy an orderly home, where everything is in its place, without multiplying the storage units that take up a crazy place. The dressing room allowsoptimize space and to reserve a place of choice in his wardrobe. At a time when the refined interior decoration is popular, we understand that the dressing room is on the rise. It gives the distinct impression of living in a more spacious dwelling. But to benefit from a tailor-made dressing room worthy of the name, it is better to take the time to think it over before embarking on its layout.
Where to place the walk-in closet?
It all depends on whether it is intended for a couple or whether it should accommodate the personal effects of all members of a family. In the first case, it can be arranged in the bedroom if it is spacious enough. If, in addition, the room communicates with the bathroom, then we have a real parental suite. In the second case, the dressing room intended for adults and children rather finds its place in a space accessible to all but that no one occupies. In this case, we choose the smallest of the rooms for example. Ideally, the dressing room intended to accommodate the clothes should be placed in the sleeping area or near the family bathroom.
If we don’t have a real room to transform into a dressing room, it is then necessary to consider occupying a space which would need to be optimized. It can be the underside of a staircase, the loft of an attic area, the end of a long corridor, an alcove, a storage room or why not a corner of the mezzanine. The main one is do not lose any square meter and therefore, to take advantage of every corner that until then seemed unnecessary.
Set up a tailor-made dressing room: assess your needs
Assess your needs is fundamental to creating a tailor-made wardrobe capable of meeting expectations. The volume of clothes to be stored is of course a determining factor, as is the number of pairs of shoes. We know for example that a folded T-shirt has a thickness of 3 cm while that of a folded sweater is at least 12 cm. It is best not to make the piles of clothes too tall if you do not want to compete with the Leaning Tower of Pisa! This is why the distance to be observed between two shelves should be 30 to 35 cm and that 50 cm is an acceptable depth. As for the depth of the dressing room, a minimum of 80 cm is required to accommodate the hangers …
Create an ultra-functional tailor-made dressing room
A walk-in closet is not a simple cupboard where clothes and accessories are stacked on shelves. Its layout is much more subtle than that. It must be made up of very specific areas so that we have at least :
- Of drawers sufficiently large and which can be ccompartmentalized thanks to dressing accessories that can be found in stores for interior design. The drawers are essential because they accommodate all the little things like leggings and lingerie for Madame, boxers and socks for Monsieur, scarves, gloves, belts and other small fashion accessories …
- Many shelves : folded clothes such as sweaters, T-shirts, shirts, shorts, polo shirts, nightgowns and pajamas are stored there. They are inseparable from modular shelving racks which allow you to organize your shelves in your own way.
- Of a specific shelving for shoes and boots, small jewelry chests, boxes, baskets and other storage lockers to organize all small items for easy retrieval.
- Of wardrobes of different heights: the most tall for long coats, dresses and long skirts, the most bass for shirts and blouses that we do not want to fold, skirts and short dresses, pants, jackets, short coats, tuxedos … We have a whole range of ultra practical rods, single, double, liftable, foldable, retractable, foldable, telescopic … enough to fit out a star wardrobe!
If you have a dressing room of at least 6 or 7 m², it is quite possible to reserve a place for the vacuum cleaner, the ironing board, the steam generator and the steamer and another where all the laundry toilet and bed can find its place.
Finally, the highest part of the walk-in closet can be reserved for the storage of duvets, pillows for passing friends and anything that is only used occasionally. If you want to occupy the entire height of the room, it is advisable to place a footstool in the dressing room.
Wardrobes in a made-to-measure dressing room: are there any standards?
So that the various wardrobes that are fitted out in a tailor-made dressing room are as practical as possible but also so that the clothes do not get damaged, it is necessary to follow the rules what do the interior design professionals. We must therefore remember the following.
- Only ask resistant rods so that they do not bend over time under the weight of the clothes.
- Respect the following dimensions:
- Between 0.80 and 1.00 m from the ground to hang the pants,
- 1.30 m from the ground for jackets, shirts,
- 1.60 m from the ground (or maximum 1.80 m) for long clothes so that they do not drag on the ground,
- 1.10 m to 1.20 m between two bars if a double wardrobe is installed.
Be careful, however, to leave sufficient space between the rod and the top shelf or the top of the dressing room to be able to insert or take out the hangers! We recommend a minimum of 6 cm, but it is better to allow 8 or 10 cm because some hangers have thick hooks.
Choose between closed dressing room and open dressing room
It is a personal choice, the two concepts being in tune with the times. With a closed dressing, the clothes are protected from dust and completely concealed. The room in which the closed dressing room is located therefore immediately seems better tidy. There are several solutions to close a walk-in closet, namely:
- Great curtain on a rod: it constitutes a decorative element in its own right. Plain or printed, it is he who sets the tone. You can change it according to your desires or the seasons.
- The sliding doors: with a mirror it is even better if you want to visually enlarge the room. Practical, they slide quietly and effortlessly and do not take up space.
- The hinged cupboard doors: they take up more space than sliding doors.
- The accordion doorsor folding doors : they are mainly used in confined spaces, but they are less resistant than other doors to many manipulations.
The open walk-in closet has its charm too, but it implies that whatever it contains is perfectly tidy, that the clothes on the shelves are folded and aligned to the nearest millimeter and that those in the closet are preferably ordered by length. And to obtain an even more aesthetic effect, you can opt for storage by color … The open walk-in closet is therefore rather the solution that suits hyper-ordered people and does not tolerate any misstep. Better that the clothes are not piled up so that the walk-in closet without a door has somehow the allure of a small chic boutique. This of course involves choosing decorative storage baskets and other lovely hat boxes, and you can even highlight the prettiest pieces from your collection (designer bag or pumps, etc.).
It remains to install LED lighting systems as judiciously as possible so that there is no dark corner in the various shelves, drawers and wardrobes. And if you are lucky enough to be able to reserve an entire room for your dressing room of more than 10 m², you can happily install a Psyche mirror and a small pouf or, better yet, a sofa design, what to have at home a real fitting room. The dream !