Take out damage insurance for work after work

Structural damage insurance is compulsory for large-scale construction or renovation work. Can we subscribe to this contract after acceptance of the site?

Are you looking for work after work damage insurance? How to find a contract at the best price? Our answers and advice.

What is the structural damage insurance for?

If you have decided to build or have built, it is important to take out structural damage insurance. This insurance makes it possible, in the event of a claim, to be reimbursed for repair work for construction-related damage covered by the ten-year guarantee.

Established by the Spinetta law of January 4, 1978, DO insurance concerns any person who, acting as owner, seller or agent of the owner of the structure, has construction or renovation work carried out. The lack of subscription is not sanctioned by law. However, in the event of non-subscription, compensation for any defects will take longer to obtain. In addition, the client will remain personally liable vis-à-vis the new purchaser for all the consequences resulting from the lack of insurance.

Thus, structural damage insurance represents real protection for owners wishing to carry out large-scale work.

When should you take out structural damage insurance?

In principle, the structural damage insurance must be taken out before the start of the works. It takes effect after the expiry of the guarantee period of perfect completion and expires at the same time as the ten-year guarantee.

The subscription to this insurance remains however possible after the works. However, few insurers agree to take such a risk or else, in return for a significant premium. It is therefore advisable, as far as possible, to contract before the start of the work to save money and benefit from the best guarantees.

How to find a work damage insurance after work?

The construction or renovation work has already started or is finished and you have not taken out property damage insurance? Know that it is possible to find a contract after work.

To begin with, do not hesitate to compare the offers offered on the market with the help of a free online comparator with no obligation. The operation of this tool is simple: you just have to fill out a quick form to receive quotes by email that meet your criteria. To allow the comparator to clearly identify your needs, you must provide information: the nature of the work, their duration, their amount, the level of experience and skills of the professionals you call on.

Another possible option is to go through a broker to benefit from personalized support and advice. The broker is perfectly familiar with the work-after-work damage insurance market and will be able to direct you to insurers likely to take care of you. Using its services does not commit you to anything since you are free to adhere or not to the contracts offered.

Finally, as a last resort, you have the possibility to contact the Central Pricing Bureau (BCT), a joint body whose role is to set the amount of the premium in the event of refusal of subscription. When the BCT is contacted by a contracting authority, the insurance company designated by the taxable person is required to cover the risk offered to it at the fixed rate.

Consequently and taking into account all these elements, it is recommended to anticipate the subscription to the property damage insurance. Indeed, even if the BCT can intervene as a last resort, it allows to benefit only from the minimum guarantee. To obtain optimal protection, it is necessary to compare the offers.

Print this sheet RSS feed

Design by NewsLax