This ranking does not rank the largest airports in the world. Not those that receive more planes. Not the most technologically gifted. To call them in some way, they are the most “picturesque”. Every year, the private plane booking platform PrivateFly asks its users for the runways that most captivate their attention, the ones that they hardly forget.
More than 6,000 frequent flyers and aviation enthusiasts participated in the 2020 survey. The vote, this year, took place between February and March, before the world’s skies were emptied of airplanes and passengers stayed home. confined and distraught.
The winner, for the third consecutive year, has been the Donegal airport (also known as Carrickfinn’s), in North West Ireland, on a rugged coastline, between unspoiled beaches, rivers, the slopes of Mount Errigaly (751m) and the region of The Rosses. The wild Atlantic, as defined by one of the pilots. It was originally just a strip of grass, which opened as an airport in 1986 with an airstrip and temporary buildings. In the 1990s, a permanent terminal was built and the runway widened.
Top runways 2020
one. Donegal Airport, Ireland
two. Msembe Airstrip from Tanzania. It serves as the gateway to Ruaha National Park, the second largest National Park in Tanzania. It is home to 10,000 elephants (the largest population in East African parks), lions and cheetahs.
3. Skiathos Airport (Alexandros Papadiamantis), Greece. A stunning view of the island of Skiathos.
– Aeroware (@Aeroware_) July 15, 2020
If you want to know more: the most spectacular landing in Europe: the plane almost brushed against tourists.
Four. Orlando Melbourne International Airport, United States. The liftoff over the coast of Florida is absolutely impressive! Some of the survey participants claim. Nearby, Kennedy Space Center and Cape Canaveral Air Force Station.
The beach is the runway! This is the only scheduled flight in the whole world to use the local beach as the airport and runway. When they raise the windsocks, it’s time for people and dogs to clear out of the way! 🐾👣☺️🛩️ pic.twitter.com/vfbbJgxIff
– Highland Focus (@D_Houston) July 25, 2019
5. Barra Airport – Scotland. The airport is just a white sand beach. It is the only one in the world with these characteristics. It is in the wide bay of Traigh Mhor, at the northern tip of the island of Barra, which is part of the Outer Hebrides (Scotland), in the United Kingdom.
– Airline.ee (@eeairline) October 13, 2015
6. Bora Bora Airport (Motu Mute) – French Polynesia. «On an island at the edge of the turquoise ocean between the earth and the sky. Just beautiful, ”the respondents said.
7. Princess Juliana International Airport – St. Maarten. “Great views of the water and the most impressive landing ever, just above the beach, where it feels like you can reach and collide with five people swimming below you!”
8. Praslin Island Airport – Seychelles. Ile des Palmes National Airport in Praslin, with its spectacular view of turquoise water, white sandy beaches and green areas when landing and taking off, is among the 10 most picturesque airports in the world.
9. Dubai International Airport – United Arab Emirates. Dubai offers absolutely incredible views of palm trees, islands, and the Burj Khalifa.
10. Nadi International Airport – Fiji. As you enter Nadi International Airport you see the mountain ranges and islands, floating above the Pacific Ocean.