Securing your in-ground or semi-in-ground swimming pool has been an obligation since 2004. Four devices are accessible to individuals, including the swimming pool barrier, a secure system that must meet the NF P 90-306 standard to be compliant. If this model interests you or, on the contrary, attracts you little for its aesthetics, let’s take a look at its characteristics to better support you in your choice.
The swimming pool barrier: what are the characteristics of this safety device?
Every individual is obliged to put in place a safety device in order to limit the risk of drowning in his basin, if it is buried or semi-buried. This rule, in force since 2004, exposes any offender to a maximum fine of 45,000 euros.
To do this, four protection options are offered:
- The swimming pool barrier, which forms an impassable barrier around the swimming pool and which must meet the NF P 90-306 standard.
- The swimming pool alarm, which detects presence around the pool or submerged, and which must comply with standard NF P 90-307.
- The swimming pool cover, which must prevent drowning by supporting the weight of an adult and be equipped with an anti-lifting device, must meet the NF P 90-308 standard.
- The swimming pool enclosure, which can be higher or lower depending on the model and which covers the entire pool, while meeting the NF P 90-309 standard.
What are the technical characteristics of a secure swimming pool barrier?
To meet the NF P 90-306 standard, your pool barrier must be at least 110 cm high, it must be equipped with a double locking gate, it must be installed at least 1 meter from the edge of the pool and it must be able to resist stepping over and attempting to open a child under 5 years old.
It is also imperative to ensure that the swimming pool barrier is in good condition once it is in place and to repair or replace all its defective parts if necessary in order to preserve its usefulness and the safety of everyone.
Finally, it is obvious that the safety barrier in no way prevents the need to monitor your pool. It is indeed important to ensure that it is kept closed at all times and that a child cannot step over it with the help of an object located near it.
What are the different models of pool barriers?
If the safety barrier is not always successful because of its design considered unattractive, be aware that there are several more or less visible models in order to reduce its impact on the environment of the pool.
- The fixed barrier is a generally unattractive model in your garden. Indeed, being sealed in the deck of the swimming pool, it cannot be disassembled. However, some materials are more elegant than others so as not to impact the beauty of your exterior too much. These models are also the most economical, with an average of 1,000 to 2,000 euros.
- The removable barrier is an intermediate solution that is visually comfortable, but not very practical in use. It is a temporary barrier that is put in place when young children are present and can be removed immediately after their departure. Being temporary, aesthetics are less important, but you have to be able to put it in and take it out each time, which can take some effort. For these models, expect 2,000 to 3,000 euros on average.
- The retractable barrier is the most invisible and durable solution, making it the most popular barrier. The most efficient models slip into the ground for perfect invisibility. The first prices simply fall back. On the other hand, count between 8,000 and 12,000 euros for this equipment.
What are the materials of manufacture for swimming pool barriers?
Each model of pool barrier is available in several materials to meet the desires and needs of each individual.
- The wooden model is aesthetic. This noble material has been back in fashion for a few years and elegantly dresses the area around your pool.
- The glass model is the most invisible and discreet, but also the most expensive.
- The wrought iron model can be very aesthetic, but it requires maintenance so as not to rust around the basin.
The pool barrier: what are its advantages?
The pool barrier is an effective solution to protect the surroundings of your pool. Well placed and locked, it forms a real wall that prevents children and adults from falling into the pool. It is therefore a first choice solution for protecting your family at a lower cost, since it is less expensive than other solutions forming a rampart, in particular the swimming pool enclosure.
Furthermore, you may have noticed that there are different types of barrier and different design materials. It is therefore easy to find a solution that will have little impact on the aesthetics of your garden, or even to select one that will satisfy you for its beauty and its harmony with your swimming pool.
Finally, the pool barrier is an effective protection against plant waste and residues of all kinds that surround the pool. Your bathing water remains cleaner and healthier thanks to it.
The pool barrier: drawbacks?
Certainly, the pool barrier has a lot of advantages, but it also has some disadvantages. It is a less expensive system than the swimming pool enclosure, but it remains more expensive than the cover or the alarm. However, it should be noted that it is more effective insofar as it forms a direct bulwark.
Unfortunately, to have an aesthetic and less visible model, you will have to pay the price. In addition, some models are very technical and require the intervention of a professional installer, which increases the amount of the invoice!