In general, a newly welcomed puppy is at least two months. Her mother has started her education, now it’s up to you to take up the torch because good habits must be learned as soon as possible. With reinforcement positive, even an adult dog will easily learn the 5 basic commands that will ensure comfort and security of all.
Our advice before you start
Below, some valid recommendations for learning the 5 basic orders:
- Bring yourself sweets. The rewards – in the form of snacks paired with kudos and hugs – will help you reach your goal faster. Rewards must change from regular kibble in order to make the sessions motivating (ideally, appetizing treats such as knacki sausages or pieces of cheese);
- Settle into a quiet place. For your training, prefer a quiet environment, without stimuli (odors, presence of congeners …) which could distract the attention of your four-legged friend. If you can’t make it to home, choose a totally secure location, far from all traffic;
- Walk around your dog before the sessions. Your doggie must have spent some time and defecated before starting the education sessions, otherwise he may lack concentration and you will not be able to capture his attention;
- Choose a formula verbal easy to remember. Dogs learn simple words more naturally and short (sitting, lying). Once the expression is decided, do not change it again and ask all of your family members to use the same one so as not to confuse the animal.
Teach your dog the “sit” command
The first action to teach your dog is to sit up. This position allows you to channel your energy and prevent other unwanted behavior. The sitting order will help you in several situations: preventing your dog from jump on the guests, make him wait before giving him his bowl, putting on his collar, attaching or unhooking his leash, drying him after a bath or going out in the rain. In short, this basic order will be useful to you whenever you expect something from it.
- Steps. Take a treat and hold it over his nose: your dog will naturally lift his head to look at it. Place the other hand on his rump, squeeze lightly so that he sits down (which he should instinctively do) and say “sit” at the same time. Reward him strongly and repeat the operation every day.
Teach your dog the “lying down” command
In the continuity of the order “sit”, the lying position aims to immobilize the dog and prevent behavior. unwelcome : jump on people, sniff your guests or even beg during meals.
- Steps. Hide a reward in your fist. Sit your dog down then say “down” while lowering your fist to the ground. Your dog will automatically be attracted to the scent and lie down. If he does not respond, take his paws anterior and gently pull them forward saying “lying”. Reward him even if he is not perfectly lying down as it is a workout that can take a lot of reps.
Teach your dog to “not move”
It will be very convenient for you to ask your dog for you expect wisely in front of the bakery, while you do your little shopping. The “not move” also helps to immobilize your pooch on many occasions: in a restaurant, in an elevator, when you meet another dog or when you open your gate.
- Steps. Sit your dog down. Back up slowly without taking your eyes off him and with the palm outstretched in front of him. Say “don’t move” firmly. At first he will instinctively get up to follow you. Say “no” to him and bring him back to his place. Make him sit down and repeat the operation. Take a few steps back and reward him right away if he hasn’t moved. Increase the distance gradually and come back to him each time, congratulating him warmly for not following you. At the end of the session, you should be able to leave the room (and you are out of your vision) without moving a bit!
Teach your dog to recall
The aim of the recall is to come back your dog as soon as you order him. It is undoubtedly the most important order in the perspective of being able to let go of your companion outdoors. By guaranteeing its security, this command will make your outings more comfortable because less stressful.
- Steps. Settle into a room or your garden and hide the treat in your hand. Pronounce it last name of your dog followed by the formula chosen for the recall (“here”, “at the foot”). Take a playful tone and when it comes to you, reward it with the snack and flatter it with voice and hugs. Repeat the exercise, praising him even if it takes a long time to come. Second, test it when it runs freely in a safe place. If he is reluctant to come back, kneel (or squat) and open your arms wide to encourage him to approach, praise him ardently, and offer him the treat.
Trick : instead of pronouncing his name, you can choose to use a whistle, very valuable tool when there is ambient noise.
Teach your dog the “stop” command
The order “stop” or “halt” aims to signal to your dog that he must immediately stop a action in progress: if he is arguing with a fellow creature, if you arrive at the edge of a passage pedestrian or if he leaves after a cat. In short, your dog must learn to stop on demand.
- Steps. First, the “stop” order is learned by keeping your animal on a leash. Walk side by side and stop by saying “stop” or “halt”. The goal is for the dog to freeze before the leash pulls. Reward him strongly with each success and repeat the exercise over several days. When the command is completely assimilated, repeat the operation by stain remover.
Learning with patience and gentleness
Method sweet education, strengthening positive remains the key to any learning in order to facilitate the understanding of the animal. You should never put your hand on or yell at a dog. The commands must be learned without constraint, in a context of complicity between the master and his furball. Orders do not assimilate in two days. Make each session a moment of pleasure for you two.