More and more cat owners are adopting plant litter because it is more environmentally friendly than mineral litter. But it is important that it also please the kitty so that he continues to use his toilet because the little feline is very demanding. Let’s take stock of the peculiarities of vegetable litter also called natural litter, its different variations and those which have real advantages for cats.
Special features of plant litter
Unlike mineral litter, the plant form is made only from plant components. Its specificities are as follows:
- 100% natural litter since it does not contain any chemicals,
- Can be integrated into the compost,
- Releases little or no dust at all depending on its component,
- Does not contain any product which could be toxic or allergenic.
It should be noted that some vegetable litters are a little more expensive to buy than mineral litters. However, you can find your way around if you opt for a very absorbent component that allows you to change the litter less frequently.
Note also that among the natural litters, some can be thrown in the toilet : a mention always indicated on the bag and which can be useful when you do not have a garden.
The different types of plant litter
In this area the choice is vast but some varieties are better suited to cats than others. Vegetable litter can be made up of:
- Of cassava : it is not found in all pet stores but it deserves to be tested. Its fibers are rich in starch so that it is very absorbent, which cats appreciate especially as it does not let odors escape.
- Of linen : its advantage lies above all in its power of absorption which allows the cat not to wade through its urine. On the other hand, linen does not retain odors at all. This can deter some kitties.
- Of wood :
- Either granules : these are made from sawdust. The granules do not stick to the pads because they are quite compact.
- Either shavings : the wood fibers stick easily to the paws, which the cat does not always appreciate, and it is not very pleasant for its owners to have to clean the floor each time their animal leaves its tank.
- Ofbarley (organic fibers): less common than other plant litter, it seems to be appreciated by even very delicate cats because it absorbs odors well.
- Of hemp : this component is ultra absorbent and does not release dust, two advantages for the cat. Hemp is ideal for asthmatic animals.
- Of recycled paper : it is the preferred vegetable litter for cats who suffer from respiratory problems of all kinds since it does not emit any dust.
- Of corn cob : its main advantage for cats is that this component does not stick to the paws.
- Of Straw : rather used for rodents raised in cages, straw is only appreciated by certain cats. It does not present any particular disadvantage for small felines.
This list is not exhaustive. You must therefore take the time to discover all the natural litter available in your favorite store, and in case of hesitation, seek advice from the veterinarian.
How do I know if my cat likes vegetable litter?
You can buy a natural litter box and find that your cat is fleeing its toilet house when its component is supposed to be well appreciated by small felines. The cat is sensitive to the smallest detail and if he doesn’t like his litter, he knows how to make his master understand it. We must therefore be attentive to his behavior.
If he enters his baccalaureate and then walks in circles and hesitates to do his business, it means that something is wrong. If he stays seated in front of his bin or walks around without settling in, and meows insistently, then again it is because it does not suit him. You should therefore not hesitate in this case to change the product. On the contrary, a cat at ease in its litter does not hesitate to settle there, and takes great care in burying its droppings. The product which presents the best advantages for the cat must therefore do not stick to the paws but also sufficiently absorb odors and do not emit dust.
Choosing a litter box isn’t as easy as you might think and pet store shelves don’t make it easy as there are so many varieties. Better that it is perfect for the kitty so that he continues to use his bin rather than defecate in a corner of the house. You should know that the animal will not force itself to return to its toilet if the litter does not please it. In any case, the owner has a strong interest in not making the wrong product, because his cat uses a little more than 200 kg of litter in one year! You might as well opt for an eco-friendly product and what is more, does not represent no danger to health kitty …