It is essential to give your cat a adapted diet if he has kidney failure as this can help extend his life expectancy. The diet of the little feline should therefore be considered on the advice of the veterinarian because there is no question of making mistakes that can be detrimental to the already fragile health of the cat. Let’s see the peculiarities of the diet for cats with renal insufficiency and in which case the therapeutic foods can be reimbursed by a mutual health insurance for animals.
Cat with kidney failure: the foods it needs
Kidney failure is a fatal disease. This is also the second cause of death in these domestic animals as they advance in age. The kidneys of the cat being destroyed, they can no longer fulfill their role. Thus, the body produces toxins like creatinine and urea, but they can no longer be eliminated by the kidneys. They accumulate gradually, and the general condition of the cat deteriorates slowly but inexorably.
In the event of renal failure, the cat should benefit from special diet, to know :
- Rich in water : the cat must absolutely have fresh water at will, therefore free access. A strong hydration is essential so that his kidneys can function at a minimum, especially if he is fed with kibbles which are dry foods. It makes more sense to give it a wet diet, but that does not exempt you from doing everything possible so that the kitty can drink a lot throughout the day and night.
- Low protein : the proteins must be of excellent quality and very good digestibility, but in reduced quantity.
- Rich in soluble fiber : they restore the intestinal microbiota (flora) and nourish the cells of the digestive tract.
- Poor in phosphorus : to reduce the risks of hyperphosphatemia, i.e. overdose in the plasma of inorganic phosphate.
- Low in sodium : to avoid high blood pressure.
- Rich in Antioxidants, in group B vitamins and in Omega 3.
This allows to maintain a satisfactory acid-base level and alleviate the symptoms of the disease and make the kidneys work easier.
Favor therapeutic food for cats with renal insufficiency
To be sure to give your cat food that is perfectly suited to his state of health, we can turn to therapeutic feeding. There are medical foods specially developed for cats with chronic or acute kidney problems. In this food category, we find croquettes but also so-called wet products such as canned pâtés and those in fresh sachets.
It is essential that the cat benefits from a rapid treatment and that at the same time it therefore receives a targeted diet. The sooner he is treated, the less risk of kidney damage. His master must ensure follow as scrupulously as possible the diet recommended by the veterinarian.
Food holds a very important place in the treatment of renal failure in cats. It is therefore not advisable to give the animal which presents this type of pathology a household food because it is likely to be totally unsuited to its case.
Reimbursement of therapeutic food for cats with renal failure
The therapeutic foods recommended by the veterinarian can represent a significant expense because they must be given to the sick cat for life. But these are the ones that are best suited for the little feline.
This is why it is recommended to insure your cat with an animal health mutual as soon as possible. Depending on the formula chosen, the master can get a refund at least partially medical nutrition that necessitates the renal pathology from which his little protégé suffers. To claim this type of reimbursement, all you have to do is choose a extensive coverage which incorporates a prevention package.
It therefore remains to choose the presentation that pleases the animal the most, especially with such a disease, it may not always be very hungry. But whatever type of therapeutic food you choose, it is essential to do not change the cat’s diet too quickly because it causes digestive problems.