A cat mutual reimburses all or part of the veterinary costs, up to an annual ceiling. Let’s find out together the peculiarities of this type of pet health insurance and see the different formulas offered.
The formulas of a mutual health insurance for cats
Insurance companies specializing in payment of animal health expenses all offer different formulas. Insuring your cat therefore allows you to be reimbursed for consultations, additional examinations, drugs, hospital costs, surgery, rehabilitation, chemotherapy, and many other acts… But for that, it is better to choose a contract to match.
Each contract guarantees a more or less coverage. The owner of a cat can therefore choose the one that best corresponds to his financial capacities, but above all, the guarantees must meet the needs of his little protégé as best as possible.
Usually, a cat insurance company offers three types of contract, to know :
- The basic formula : it can cover up to 50% (sometimes 60%) the cost of primary care related to an accident. According to the insurer, the basic formula can also allow the cat owner to be reimbursed up to 60% of certain veterinary acts related to a disease. The amount paid does not exceed the annual reimbursement ceiling which is around € 750, which varies from one insurer to another.
- The medium formula : it covers the costs incurred for accident and for sickness until 80%. The reimbursement ceiling is higher than in the case of a basic formula, since it can reach € 1,500 per year depending on the company.
- The premium formula : it’s a high-end solution which allows the master of the cat to be very well reimbursed for his veterinary expenses. It covers accidents, illnesses, and very often preventive measures as well, and assistance is included in the contract. The annual reimbursement limit is The highest since it is around € 2,000 at least – knowing that it can reach € 2,500 – and the prevention ceiling is at least € 50 to € 70 / year depending on the mutual.
Obviously, the more the master of the cat opts for a formula with a significant ceiling, the less veterinary costs will remain at his expense. Admittedly, a premium formula results in a higher contribution than that of the basic or mid-range formula, but the refunds are much higher in the first case than in the other two. It is therefore a solution to choose if you want take care of your cat inexpensively because let’s not forget that in France, veterinary tariffs are free. A health concern can lead to significant expenses that many pet owners cannot afford without upsetting their household budgets. It is therefore essential that the cat has extensive coverage.
Who has the Prevention package for cats?
Because prevention is better than cure, some companies also offer a Prevention contract that you can choose for complete a basic or medium formula. It allows you to be reimbursed, within the limit of an annual flat rate, for expenses incurred for care or prevention products such as:
- The vaccination,
- Antiparasitics, dewormers, etc.,
- Consultations with a behaviorist veterinarian in the event of behavioral disorders in animals,
- Specific shampoos as well as cleaning lotions for the ears, eyes or cleaning products for the teeth,
- Therapeutic foods prescribed by the veterinarian,
- Certain accessories such as the harness, the flea collar and even the basket …
It is recommended to add a prevention contract when it is not included in the chosen formula.
How to quickly find a good mutual insurance for cats?
Just connect to our insurance comparator chat to receive multiple offers in a few clicks. It’s completely free and without any commitment. This allows you to discover the levels of support offered by several animal health mutuals, and choose the one that best corresponds to what you want, both in terms of budget and coverage. Indeed, the price should not be the only criterion for choosing health insurance for your cat.
The ideal is that the chosen contract covers as many acts as possible – for accident and illness – thanks to a high annual cap and that a prevention package be included. As far as possible, we also try to find a formula that does not impose any deductible or waiting period. Be that as it may, you should not wait to insure your cat with a mutual health insurance because no one is immune to a hazard. We can take out a contract as soon as the kitty is 2 months old, which is strongly recommended because some insurers refuse to insure old cats.