What is a certificate of competence? How and why to get it?

Working in the field of animals does not take place without a diploma. Indeed, it will be necessary to obtain in advance what is called a certificate of competence. This diploma, issued by the prefecture of the region, will certify that the person concerned is able to take care of the animals mentioned on the certificate. It will be necessary to know the physiological and biological needs of the animals concerned by this famous sesame, which will allow you subsequently to open a business for commercial purposes, or to hold species that cannot legally be owned without a specific certificate.

The different types of existing capacity certificates

Depending on the desired end goal, there are several types of capacity certificates:

Certificate for the sale and transit of domestic and non-domestic animals

This certificate is essential for all trades aiming to open a business selling animals, whether they are considered domestic or non-domestic. This also concerns all trades relating to animal transport. For an individual, this certificate will be essential from the moment he sells at least two litters per year from a personal breeding, and this, whatever the species concerned.

The main professions requiring this certificate are as follows:

  • breeder (whether dogs, cats, rodents, fish, birds or reptiles),
  • dog trainer or any other professional activity relating to animal training,
  • work in a pound or animal shelter,
  • all trades related to animal transport (animal taxis, animal ambulance drivers, etc.)
  • pet shop seller.

Non-professional breeding certificate for non-domestic animals

This certificate, less common than the previous one, concerns the very specific case of the holders of sensitive species in their natural environment, invasive, dangerous, or difficult to maintain in captivity.

In other words, it will be essential to have this type of certificate of capacity when you want to have dangerous, endangered or invasive species in your home, without the aim of selling them. This type of certificate is particularly difficult to obtain, since it will be necessary to set up in one’s home very specific installations for the species that one wishes to welcome, in addition to several security systems (having anti-venom at home when it is a poisonous species for example).

Certificate intended for the presentation of animals in public

This certificate concerns only a few people, since it is quite simply intended, as its name suggests, for people wishing to present animals to an audience for commercial purposes, such as zoos, circuses or animal artists (trainer bear, snake charmer, falconer, exhibition of parrots or birds …).

How to obtain a certificate of competence?

The way to obtain a certificate of competence depends initially on the type of certificate that one wishes to obtain.

The certificate of capacity for the sale or transit of domestic animals requires a one-month training course with an organization approved by the prefecture of the region. The latter will then inform the candidate by mail of its favorable or unfavorable decision to obtain this certificate.

The certificate of capacity for the sale or transit of non-domestic animals becomes more difficult, since the species concerned require more knowledge and know-how to be able to take care of them properly. It will be necessary to undergo training according to the species concerned, then to write a file on the animal, as well as on the installations and other security measures to be put in place. Following this file, the prefecture will deliver its verdict by mail.

The certificate for the breeding of non-professional non-domestic animals is a little more special to obtain. A training of a minimum of 70 hours must be done with a capacity worker. This internship will include 20 hours of theoretical learning and 50 hours of practical learning. Here too, a file must be made on the animal concerned. You will then have to set up all the necessary facilities at home to accommodate the species concerned, then make a request addressed directly to the prefect, along with your file. Subsequently, a team from the veterinary services of the region will contact you to come and inspect your facilities and your knowledge.

Finally, note that a person who has been breeding for three years or more may request an extension for the sale, without going through training.

Design by NewsLax